• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the area and I have a few questions

RobK_aka

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just moved to San Diego (Mira Mesa). I currently have a Stock 2000 XJ sport trim with about 91,000 clocked on it.

On my journey from New Jersey to here my A/C compressor seized up on me and I had to have an A/C bypass and a new serpentine belt installed. A few years ago I had the Evaporator die on me so this makes the second time I've had to go with out A/C.

In the few years that I have had my XJ it's gotten a few scrapes on the front left and rear right tire flairs. I also have about a quarter sized hole in the rear right tail light.

The last thing is that she's got a long crack low on the driver side of the windsheild as well as a little spider crack toward the middle.

Now even with these few minor problems I love the XJ and it runs great. Unfortunatly I really don't use the XJ to its full potential and I know there are a ton of enthusiests who could do alot with it. So I have decided that its time to part with it.

My questions come in with repairs:

What repairs do you guys think are necissary(if any) before I put her up for sale?

If I do get repairs done do you think the parts I need are availible at a pick a part or other junkyard?

What might I need to spend to get this all fixed up (labor + parts)?

Would it be better just to sell it as is?

If it is better to sell it as is should I sell it privatly or try to get some cash via trade in?

I really appreciate any help that you guys will be able to give me. Also if anyone is interested in potentially buying please let me know.

Here's a few pics from the trip here:

rob_xj_3.jpg

up in the rockies

rob_xj_1.jpg

in the deserts of utah

rob_xj_2.jpg

put her up for sale as is and see how it goes, give it a few weeks if you don't get any real bites then start repairing things little by little. Be prepared to have stupid questions about why you haven't fixed things and be patient right now a lot of good vehicles are going for less than they are actually worth because it is a buyers market.

gerroffroad.com said:
put her up for sale as is and see how it goes, give it a few weeks if you don't get any real bites then start repairing things little by little. Be prepared to have stupid questions about why you haven't fixed things and be patient right now a lot of good vehicles are going for less than they are actually worth because it is a buyers market.
x2.

Just beware, you probably won't get as much as an equivalent socal XJ because yours most likely has rust.

I'm also on the sell it as is bandwagon. The guys who are likely to buy an XJ with today's fuel prices are the guys who want a late model chassis to build or replace their current trail rig. Those people aren't worried about a crack in a tailight or windshield, or even AC. You'd be throwing your money away.

Back