• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifty steering on my XJ!

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
So my Jeep doesn't like going in a straight line. I've owned 2 XJs in the past so I know they are a bit touchy, but this one seems to require far more effort than the previous ones. I literally feel like I may get pulled over on suspicion of DUI!

OK, so my previous two XJs were both early 90s selec-trac 4x4s and this one is a 2000 Cherokee Classic 2x4. Are the 2x4s known to be touchier than the 4x4s?

I have gone over the whole front suspension. I can visibly see that there is a tiny amount of toe-in, which seems appropriate. The only thing I saw which initially concerned me was on the main link bar (I would normally think of it as a tie-rod but the FSM calls it the "drag-link") there is a sleeve w/ two clamps on it holding the bar together. My first thought was that it was a ghetto hack job, but the FSM illustrates that there is in fact supposed to be a sleeve and two clamps holding the bar together.. seems a little odd to me, but oh well...

So, anybody have a good place for me to start looking around? Is there a way to test the steering damper to verify its in good shape?

the drag link sleeve you are talking about is for adjusting straight ahead, or your steering wheel center. it shouldnt have an affect on handling, and if your wheel seems centered when driving straight then its fine. and as far as the steering damper, it shouldnt cause anything either unless something else is out of whack. a properly set up steering system doesnt even need a damper.

i would take a tape measure, and measure the length between the front of the front tires and the back of them. toe in should be 1/16" to 1/8", no more. if you can see it by eyeballing it, then you likely have too much toe in(which could cause squirley steering). when i did my budget boost, it brought my toe in to 1" but standing back the tires looked just a hair toed in.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

look for bad tie rod ends & track bar bushings, just like it's a 4x4. I had a 2wd & it wasn't nearly as twitchy as my 4 wheelers. the control arm bushings can also be a problem but I would start with the rod ends & track bar.

Back