• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome lights won't turn off

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ Laredo............After determining that the unwanted draw on my battery was due to the fact that my dome lights do not turn off when the doors are closed I have been trying to figure out where the problem is.

I have tested all the door switches and they don't seem to be the problem (physically disconnected all of them and checked).

Now, I believe that the door switches are completing the ground for the circuit, and since they aren't going off that leads me to believe that there is an issue between the lights and the door switches that is causing it to be grounded all of the time.

Any help is appreciated........electrical is not my strong point.

Turn your headlight switch can also turn on the dome light, just twist it clockwise (I think) and see if that helps.

If it doesn't twist one way, try the other.....

poorboy_616 said:
Turn your headlight switch can also turn on the dome light, just twist it clockwise (I think) and see if that helps.

If it doesn't twist one way, try the other.....

Jeez..........If I had known this I could have saved myself a ton of dicking around........just went out and turned the switch, closed the door and the lights went off.

Thanks poorboy!

^^^
Had the same problem a week ago. Had me testing every single switch in the doors and hatch with a multimeter until I thought "just maybe"... grabbed the dimmer switch on the dash, turned it and walla!
Then I felt like a bit silly for ripping all my door panels out to test the switch leads.

Back