• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c help please

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
:bawl:my a/c doesn't work. it hasn't worked since i bought it. i just bought some kind of air conditioning recharger kit and now i'm thinking that that will not solve my problem. when the vehicle is running and i turn the a/c on the a/c clutch does not engage, and i don't know if this has anything to do with it but that small electrical fan on the rad(i think is for the a/c) doesn't go on either. what should i start looking at here? maybe there is nothing wrong with the a/c but something is not telling it to go on? i really have no idea, never dealt with one before, all the help i can get would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

can anyone at least tell me if there are any fuses or relays to look for, or maybe a comonly bad wire or vac leak that may cause this?

The A/C clutch and radiator fan will not turn on if the low pressure switch is open-it will open when refrigerent is extremely low.

You can add to it and the clutch and fan should come on. Or, you can unplug the connector to it and jump it and the A/C will come on when the dash is set accordingly (for testing purposes only)

also, the jeep had been sitting for about 4 years before i got er going again, can i assume that if it was leaking enough to stop it from working that over the 4 years it probably completely drained itself? because the stuff i'm going to recharge it with says that, if low, the system must be drained before filling because its not r12 its something different called red tek 12a refrigerant.

Just went through this last week with my 01 XJ.

Mine started working after putting two bottles of Freon in it. Once I got the pressure up it worked fine.

As for the low pressure side it is the one (at least on the 01) that is closest to the windshield and is sits higher (closer to the hood then the ground).

The kit I bought also had die in it so you can see if there are leaks or find the leaks using a pen light. I still have to trace my leak as the AC worked GREAT for about 3 days.

i tried filling it but the guage showed that it was overfilled. i tried jumping the electric fan and the a/c clutch and they both worked fine, i let them run for about 10 minutes but still no cold air. so i'm assuming that it is not really full and that there was something wrong with the guage.

Back