• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ oil leak

HBDBRacing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I have an oil leak from hell, I have replaced rear main seal oil pan gaskit twice and the valve cover gaskit and it still leaks I am at my witts end here and Im just short of pulling the motor out and rebuilding it.

Has anyone had an issue of this nature before with these motors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

If you have already replaced the valve cover gasket and rear main then I can guarantee its coming from the oil filter housing, there arent any other seals back there.

Thats the problem Im having. Theres nothing back there to leak but yet it is I can clearly see the oil filter and houesing and there are no leaks. The filter is brand new.

I can only figure the head or head gaskit or crack in the block. But its runs wonderfully no burning oil or coolent. Theres no water in th oil either.

I'd put my money on the o-rings inside the oil filter adapter too....its not the oil filter itself, its the adapter/housing...

When you replaced the rear main and oil pan gasket was there a lip worn into the shaft at the rear main? Alot of times there's a small groove worn into it that still allows it to leak, and if rtv wasn't used at the mating points on the rms on both sides and the corners of the oil pan gasket around it then they'll continue to leak.

It's also really easy to get leaks at the oil pan gasket, especially if you use the multi-piece type. There is a one piece gasket that makes things a little easier.

FelPro makes a special oil seal for worn crankshafts with a double lip.

If you think it's coming from there, try to determine whether it's coming from the oil seal or the gasket. Take the front cover off the bottom of the bell housing. If it's coming from the seal, you should see signs of it on the front edge of the flywheel/flex plate.

Finally, don't forget that a bent or distorted oil pan flange can mess you up too. If at some point the pan was overtightened, it might be distorted enough to leak. Make sure it's reasonably flat.

Also, do not discount the possibility that it's the oil filter o-rings until you've looked really hard. The oil from there flows down and ends up at just the same place bad seals put it. It's hard to see the source sometimes. It's pretty surprising how well bad o-rings can masquerade as a bottom end leak.

Matthew Currie said:
It's also really easy to get leaks at the oil pan gasket, especially if you use the multi-piece type. There is a one piece gasket that makes things a little easier.

FelPro makes a special oil seal for worn crankshafts with a double lip.

If you think it's coming from there, try to determine whether it's coming from the oil seal or the gasket. Take the front cover off the bottom of the bell housing. If it's coming from the seal, you should see signs of it on the front edge of the flywheel/flex plate.

Finally, don't forget that a bent or distorted oil pan flange can mess you up too. If at some point the pan was overtightened, it might be distorted enough to leak. Make sure it's reasonably flat.

Also, do not discount the possibility that it's the oil filter o-rings until you've looked really hard. The oil from there flows down and ends up at just the same place bad seals put it. It's hard to see the source sometimes. It's pretty surprising how well bad o-rings can masquerade as a bottom end leak.

I have to agree! Mine has a bad oil leak at the rear and I automatically assumed it was the rear main. Replaced the rear main, new pan gasket and still had the leak. Dripping off the the transmission bellhousing and bottom rear of the engine oil pan. degreased the block real well and low and behold, I coud see oil coming out of the seam where the oil filter adapter mounts to the engine block. Never saw it before. Spray some degreaser down there around the oil filter let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes, wash it off and then start the engine and watch that spot for oil oozing out. The oil is under pressure at that location also so it will be noticable on the clean block.

I can say for a fact its not the oil filter adapter Iv watched it and watched many many times and nothing comes out.

Ive used the one piece oil pan gasket both times I replaced it and still a leak so far the only thing that makes sense is the oil pan its self I did notice some areas where the flange had been bent I straightened them to the best of my abilities (Im an iron worker) but I guess maybe not good enough.

That will be my next step, Ill get a new oil pan and see how that goes. If that doesnt work The trannys coming out and Ill see it then.

I thank each and everyone of you for your advice.
Ill put an update when I get it figured out.

Adam

Back