• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some leaf spring questions

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
So my RC 4.5" Lift is only about 1.5 months old (I installed it 23May08) and while I am extremely happy with the over all performance of the kit I am starting to get a little annoyed with 1 thing. That thing is my passenger side leaf spring. Ever since I installed the lift I've noticed the passenger side sits lower than the drivers side, well I tried just seeing if once the springs broke in a little that they would even out a bit. After 4 or 5 wheeling trips and 1.5 months on the road the passenger side has an even more pronounced droop and the spring is noticeably flatter than the drivers side one. I'm currently considering switching the leaf springs to oppossite sides of the vehicle to see if that helps any, the reason being is the the front also seems to sag towards the passenger side and I'm not sure if that spring is also weak or if its just being carried over from the rear.

My main questions are:
1) Is this something I could maybe bring up to RC as the lift is so new, maybe get a replacement for my faulty one?

2) Is there anything I can do to help that spring out, maybe add an extra leaf to the pack or something?

3) If I wind up having to go with all new springs, who makes the best quality ones? I'm looking to keep a 4.5" spring pack.

I'm also planning to upgrade to a long arm setup and going up an other 2" in the process, however I wasn't planning on changing out my leaf packs. I've already got 1.5" shackles in the rear so I'm sitting at roughly 6", instead of getting a higher arched spring I was going to get the 1.5" U-Bolt Eliminators from TnT Customs (Treks now). I like having the rear a little bit higher as I normally keep a lot of tools and parts in the back of my Jeep. I was really only hoping to swap out the front springs for some longer 6.5" ones, and then add in the TnT Y-Link belly pan for my Long Arms. However, with the way my current springs are acting I'm strongly considering either replacing them or going to a 1/4 elliptical setup.

So I guess question number four is:
4) Is ther any companies out there that make 1/4 elliptical kits for the XJ?

Anyways, thats about it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dutch

I would contact Rough Country. I'm pretty sure that there site says 100%customer satisfaction or they will make it right. Not sure how long it will take. Do you have the full AAL or full leafs? I'm guessing full leafs. I've seen a couple of people with the same problem. Contact them tell em how it is be reasonable and aquire the part you need. Just because RC is cheaper doesn't make it a HORRIBLE product. RE had made an eliptical kit but I think has now been discontinued. Have you talked to GRIMMUS? I know he is an RC rep and always helps out the NAXJA group. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Edit* Are the coil springs/ leafs side sensitive in the RC kit?

Yeah, I did get the full leaf packs as not only were my factory springs completely shot but I'm not a big fan of AAL. There was nothing in the instructions or on the springs to say that they were side sensitive, besides with the fuel tank being centered there shouldn't be much of a side to side weight difference on the XJ.

I'll pm GRIMMUS now, thanks.

I've heard some kits do have a driver and pass side spring, don't know about RC. The problem you're having is somewhat typical, not with RC, but just in general. I've always made my own rear leaves out of a variety of old leaves, and there are always one or two more leaves in the pass side pack. A call to RC might get you a new set of springs. If it happens again, I wouldn't hesitate to add one more leaf to the pass side.

Our XJ's spring over design and relatively flat springs make them more prone to axle wrap and fatigue, and the engine torque and low gears of low range lean the rig to the pass side.

markw said:
Deaver and nationals....

wow just saw the prices on those...might want to go a different direction...any ideas? obviously building my own spring pack, but what are some good ones to pick from? I've seen s-10 i think?

mcraindog said:
wow just saw the prices on those...might want to go a different direction...any ideas? obviously building my own spring pack, but what are some good ones to pick from? I've seen s-10 i think?

Check out RE or RC for leafs, they have good prices :patriot:

2 XJ packs smooshed together with RE shackle and shackle relocaters. Much better package then my RE 5.5 leaf packs.

RTIramp014.jpg

RTIramp013.jpg

A buddy of mine had a similar problem with a CJ-8 The cause is spring wrap compounded by torque lean to the pass. side as you accelerate. 'Causes the pas. side to flatten faster then the dr. side. Chances are the front spring is OK. Get some kind of a traction bar on there to avoid it happening again when you get it fixed.

Look at old leaf sprung muscle cars. The passenger side rear pack always has more leaves to counteract this.

Some very good points, but we may be overlooking an obvious cause.

Umm, how "big" is the wife?

I know on my stock XJ I have the same problem. Turns out that the upper bushing on the driver side shackle is seized in place making shackle flex impossible. While the shackle on the passenger side flexes thus making it lower on the side with the functioning shackle. 1"-1 1/2" drop from one side to the other. This might be your problem if you have stock shackles.

Back