• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detroit locker c-clip problem

yamafreek

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone install a Detroit in a 8.25? I cant get the C-clips to fit into the grove in the locker and it's preventing the cross pin to fit. Im almost there just need to resolve this. Not sure where I could buy a set of new clips. Maybe the old clips spread a hair?

HELP!:dunno: :cheers: :cheers: :bawl:

Try getting the clips in without the axleshaft in there, see if they'll fit into the recess in the locker. That'll at least narrow down where the problem is. If they are in fact a little bent, try squeezing them a little in a vise to get them back to proper shape.

If your talking about the OD,this is common.Just grind them to fit!

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
If your talking about the OD,this is common.Just grind them to fit!

Yes it is the "OD" of the clip. These last two posts are my plan A and B. I'm so close to getting this thing back on the road! 4.56 on the stock tires should be fun for a week or until the 31"s go on. Waiting for my RC 4.5 X kit to arrive in the mail.:patriot:

I got the clips in however that was just the start of the problems. The 4.56 ring gear is thick and keeps the detroit pin from going in! I ended up getting it all done but it was some work. Took pics so I will post it later.

yamafreek said:
I got the clips in however that was just the start of the problems. The 4.56 ring gear is thick and keeps the detroit pin from going in! I ended up getting it all done but it was some work. Took pics so I will post it later.

You have to grind corners off the 8.25" gear teeth (non-contact surfaces) to get cross shafts in. You probably figured this out by now, but I'm stating it here for posterity. :peace:

Back