• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick OBA question..............

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
so i built myself an OBA system yesterday using my sanden compress on my 95XJ.

i got everything just about done, and am trying to decide what switch to use. then i started wondering. some of the diagrams i've been using as pointers, never show a relay or anything for the power.

sooooo..............do you guys just run straight power to the compressor with a toggle switch inbetween, or do you use/need a relay???

and.................how many amps does the sanden A/C compressor use???

scorpio_vette said:
so i built myself an OBA system yesterday using my sanden compress on my 95XJ.

i got everything just about done, and am trying to decide what switch to use. then i started wondering. some of the diagrams i've been using as pointers, never show a relay or anything for the power.

sooooo..............do you guys just run straight power to the compressor with a toggle switch inbetween, or do you use/need a relay???

and.................how many amps does the sanden A/C compressor use???

You need to use a relay although I don't know how much amperage it would need.

mmmhhhh.........i was hopeing i'd wake up and find an answer as to how many amps it pulls so i know what relay to get.

any help??? what have you guys done for your OBA??? i know there are guys here that also have the sanden OBA.

I would check the rating on the fuse for the factory AC. I would then relay at that amperage.

mine is run direct to a switch. it is a good quality 20a switch coleherse i beleive. don't quote me but i rember reading that it draws about 5a.

scorpio_vette said:
i tried looking last night, and i only saw a relay for the A/C, but couldn't find the damn fuse for the A/C. i'll check again today.

Just thinking in terms of wiring simplicity and what not: why not reuse the ac relay that you found. Using the wiring diagram from your fsm you should even be able to find the wires to trigger the relay from behind your hvac controls the two short jumper to a spst toggle or rocker and you are all set.

I ran a wire from 12v hot to my pressure switch, then from the PS to the compressor.
It's not like the electric clutch is some huge power-hungry circuit.
No need to get to fancy with relays or wiring.
K.I.S.S.

About 5 Amps. I use a std. 20A relay wired off the ARB pressure switch. You could use a st. air compressor pressure switch and skip the relay.

Simple.

Rev

well between these answeres and answeres on some other boards, i decided to wire like this.

ignition switched power----15amp fuse----switch on dash----pressure switch----air compressor.

tried the system last night and it works beautiful. i'll take some pics and post them later on.

Back