• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Gear replacement

jsorrels

NAXJA Forum User
So.. My boy finally totalled his '89 laredo XJ at 280Kmiles (not the XJs fault!), before we sent it to the graveyard we moved his RE lift kit to my '95 XJ and since the rear springs would not fit the Chrysler diff, we also moved the Dana 35 to my '95 XJ.

Yes, I did not test it before we towed off the '89 and now my '95 binds up when I go into 4WD, this is due to the difference in gear ratio between the '89 front Dana 30 and my '95 Dana 30 front diff.

To the question: Do I need some special machine tools to replace the diff gears? Does anyone have a link to the process?

Thank you.

f/o 89 XJ Laredo
95 XJ 4X4
92 XJ laredo 4X4
97 TJ

what is the ratio difference?

if the ratios are different more than a point or two (i.e a 4.10 and a 4.11) DO NOT put the Jeep in 4wd. You will grenade something.

Setting up new or used gears is not difficult, but you need some technical skills and tools. There are lots of write-ups you can GOOGLE. If not done correctly the gears or differential will be ruined in a few hundred miles. You can have it done at a shop but expect to pay about $300-400 in labor alone.

Why not get a matching gear ratio axle from the junkyard ? The cost is much less than a new ring and pinion and you only need to bolt it on. Try www.car-part.com.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
Setting up new or used gears is not difficult, but you need some technical skills and tools. There are lots of write-ups you can GOOGLE. If not done correctly the gears or differential will be ruined in a few hundred miles. You can have it done at a shop but expect to pay about $300-400 in labor alone.

Why not get a matching gear ratio axle from the junkyard ? The cost is much less than a new ring and pinion and you only need to bolt it on. Try www.car-part.com.

That was my original plan, I was just curious if it would be easier to replace the gears.

Back