• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"clunk" when I turn left

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok so when I turn left and left only I get a lound clunk that sounds like it is coming from the pass. side of the front end. I can even feel it in the floor. I just ordered the RE heavy duty track bar and bracket and checked all my control arms but cant seem to find this stupid clunk. Oh ya and it only does it if you are driving over 5mph and of course turning to the left. I am at 6" of lift with all RE stuff except for the tera lower control arms. Any ideas on what I might have overlooked would be great

Thanks.

Do you have the stock trac bar, or the heim joint RE one? You need to to make sure the lower bolt is tight. That is what does it. Juice

I have the re heim track bar. I checked that bolt last week but I will crank down on it tonight and see what happens. Thanks

Well I checked the lower bolt and it is tight (couldnt budje it with my 18"breaker bar). SOOOOOO any more suggestions, I checked the welds on the control arm mounts and the track bar mounts all look good I am totaly stumped. The thing that sucks is it only does it when your moving, If I cycle the steering lock to lock in the driveway it doesnt do it. Its driving me nuts

Thanks

Had something similar and it wasn't my track bar. Didn't realize what it was until I removed my flares for fender triming and noticed that the drivers side tire was a good inch further out on that side. It was a burned steering box and the joint at the axle end from the pitman arm.

jeepme said:
Well I checked the lower bolt and it is tight (couldnt budje it with my 18"breaker bar). SOOOOOO any more suggestions, I checked the welds on the control arm mounts and the track bar mounts all look good I am totaly stumped. The thing that sucks is it only does it when your moving, If I cycle the steering lock to lock in the driveway it doesnt do it. Its driving me nuts

Thanks

Just as another datapoint, I've been fighting a clunk for some time, and finally figured it out last night (with NotoriusDUG.)

The bottom 2 bolts on the stock frame end track bar bracket were loose. The forward one took less than an eighth of a turn with a breaker bar, and the rear weldnut has come loose from the frame rail. It's getting tacked up this weekend.

When cycling the steering, the clunk was repeatable, and in both directions. You could feel the clunk in the trackbar and at the bracket. The bracket itself was not showing movement apparently. Yes, it was moving and just barely perceptibly moving. If I so much as blinked, I missed it.

JUst FYI when I installed my RE track bar it came with the wrong size bolt on the upper end (undersize). I had to drill the upper track bar mount even more oversize to make it work. Make sure that the heim joint has the right size bolt through it.

Sean

Back