• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine gets hot but doesnt overheat!

owensxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 jeep xj 4.0 with about 72,000 miles on it. i was in washington then illinois and im now in florida. The humidity in florida i 2 maybe 3 times that of the other states. Anyways i noticed that my engine was hotter than normal so i figured it was the thermostat so i changed it with the orginal equip and no luck. I have also changed the radiator cap and still have the same problem. The jeep still runs great but once its been on for a while (30 mins) it will start goin past 200 but it stays out of the red. I isnt overheating by the instruments and im not sure what is goin on. Let me know before i go out and spend the money on a water pump.

Thanks,
Matt
please email me [email protected]

i spent two years chasing temp demons, I'd try replacing the temp sender on the back of the block....only costs $16 bucks

doug

What is the max temp it has reached? Up to 210 is not uncommon. As long as you don't experience any radiator boil off or run on when you shut the engine off and the temp gauge doesn't get over 210 by more than 5 degrees I would not worry about it. Jeep 4.0ltr engines like to run around 200 to 210 and usually will in hot humid climates.

In Ohio, mine was running around 200. In Arizona, 210 is normal. I haven't lost any coolant in 3 years. The aux fan does run a lot more out here.

make sure when the a/c turns on that the electric fan turns on. also once the car starts getting around 210 even w/ the a/c off the electric fan should turn on.

i had a problem w/ the a/c on in hot weather/traffic i would slowly over heat till boil over. problem was the electric fan did not work. wound up being lots of corrosion inside the fan motor. i clean it all up and resoldered the wires...works like a champ and saved me a min of $80 for a new fan

Back