• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac ???????

tbear

NAXJA Forum User
ac on a 01 xj will hold a 25 30 pound of vac but wont hold a pressure to allow to cool. it is leaking inside pass compartment. is there a conn. that would allow to leak,,, o-ring or somthing similar wifes jeep please help.

You are up the creek, jeep used cheap assed evaporators that leaked, my dealer hid it from me by recharging it till the warranty ran out. It's a $1200 repair, consists of removing the dash, heater box, replacing the evap and reassembling, book says 8 hours labor, most here take two days shade tree.

Your question does not make sense.....I think you mean 25 -30 inHg (Inches of Mercury). Thats how you measure vacuum. Are you evacuating the system for a minimum of 30 minutes. If the vacuum won't hold for that long, you've got a leak. If it wont hold vacuum, it wont hold the refrigerant (at least not for very long). Like RichP said, if its the evap, you are up a creek.

i let the vac run till it went to 30 then closed the system down and it slowly went from 30 to 25 it took about 25 to 30 mins to drop but never went below 25. when i put the 134a in it started leaking immediatly. the sniffer locacted it in the inside pass compartment.

Yep, leaking evaporator. It's an expensive and very labor-intensive repair, but the part isn't all that expensive. If you replace it, replace the reciever/drier as well, and possibly the expansion valve.

There is one alternative you can try that I've had good luck with on several cars, including my own. Go to your local NAPA store. Not Autozone, not Pep Boys, not advance...NAPA. They sell an R-134a sealer called Super Seal, comes in a small can and costs about 20 bucks. When the A/C system is empty, dump a can of Super Seal in there and charge the system to specification...charge it with refrigerant immediately after putting Super Seal in there, or the sealant will actually seal the low side port. Just follow the directions on the Super Seal can and see if that stops your leak.

Every parts store sells some kind of sealer, but in my experiences the Super Seal brand is the only one that actually works. Some cans of R-134 claim to contain sealer, but the included sealer is REALLY useless. Also, if your leak is bad enough, your only option is a correct repair, this is just a suggestion to try and hope for the best. Good luck.

Back