• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobfest feeler thread

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Well, here is one result of the "constructive criticism" thread.

Post up if you would like to be a part of a mild wheeling trip. Let us know what you might want to learn, what you would like to see, etc.

I'd like to propose a 6-8 hour run (including lunch) and maybe a class or two on a Saturday or Sunday

Speak up, or forever hold your peace.

John

Here is what I would like to see in the training "material". I would be more than happy to teach or assist with any of it as long as I can make the day it is planned for.

1. Trail preperation (what to bring, how much food, water, tools, parts, etc) And maybe some good ways of packing it ;)

2. Trail "Team" organization. What order to place each vehicle and why (spread out winches, CB's, lockers, etc)

3. Trail communication (both with and without a CB), staying within sight, hill climbs, decents, etc).

4. Basic Spotting techniques. Where to spot from, how to communicate between spotter and driver.

5. Basic Winching techniques. What to look for when winching, safety, tree strap, communication.

6. Tire repair (plugging, re-seating a bead) what pressure to run in what conditions, etc.

7. Basic engine diagnostics would be good also (what sensors do what, what signs of overheating could be what issues, battery/alt/charging, Other?)

Michael

bcmaxx said:
how far are u guys from vancouver, b.c.

We cover the whole North West (Oregon - Alaska -Idaho). "Most" of us are from the Seattle or Portland area, but there are many of us from WAY outside of those two main cities.

We have talked about doing some more wheeling in BC, you want to lead us on a few run's?

Michael

bcmaxx said:
how far are u guys from vancouver, b.c.
It depends on where it is run.
The furthest North ORV area in Washington is Walker Valley which is about an hour to an hour and a half from Vancouver (assuming a clear border crossing... The Abotsford crossing is a defenite option ).
The last NoobFest was at Tahuya which would be between three and four hours drive from BC.

Hmm, noobfest ehh? Sounds perfect for me! :wave:

I'd like to learn anything I need to know!

...vague, I know...but true.

I'm down for attending, as long as I can make it (durrr).

EDIT: P.S. Got the lift on today, centering the front end out tomorrow and getting my tires...so a noobfest would be a good place to get a good test run in!

Last edited:
I believe after just reading the ideas in each of these threads is that the CB communication is lacking. Prolly being able to acutally test, check distance, match (swr) and ability to use them would be a good topic. 10 codes are always good to.....

*this is my positive input for the month* :)

Im in, I get tires this saturday and need front and rear recovery points after that. I could be ready in a week.

Sideshow said:
Im in, I get tires this saturday and need front and rear recovery points after that. I could be ready in a week.

go to pull apart they have some XJs with rear hitches. I don't recall seeing any tow hooks though

Would love to participate. I could bring a cheap SWR and expensive multimeter. I think Michael's list is really good. Some things that I wonder about... and possible ideas.

1: How much to air down and under what circumstances. (At least out at Reiter it seems I have already spent quite a bit of time helping out people who had lost bead seat) Know has a lot to do with tire/ wheel combinations.

2: What is a good list of trail spares? Again I know this is dependent on lots of factors but I always seem to be thinking of something different than

Partial front driveshaft cps, tire valve stems, fluids, wire, tape, jbweld, hoses, coolant tank, ujoints/straps, bolts and stuff... Hell we should do a database of common trail breakdowns...

3: Same as above for tools.

4: Trail First Aid? Any EMT's out there?

5: Wheeling technique generally safety...

Using rock rails to go round trees...
When to go slow when to "press on regardless"
How many times to attempt an obstacle (Tread lightly?)
Off Camber stuff...
I see a lot of talk about picking a "line" and would really like to get this a bit better. Don't know if any of you have been to a racing school but there is generally discussion of theory done before getting out on the track . One of the things I really value about this forum is that people talk a bit about that. Again many things are givens. ie why it is bad to use lift blocks? Why are long arms a good idea, why lifting a jeep without an adjustable track bar is bad What to go read...

6: Why stop there? If there can be master gardener classes what about master wheelers (sounds awful). If people have done a noob class maybe they could go teach
other noobs. That addresses the location issue a bit.

7: I would like to suggest Reiter as a place with a good range of stuff to do.

Ok that is enough. Again whatever date is picked I will do my best to attend. I may not be able to do 2 days but again will do my best.

Thanks John for starting this thread.

WaXJ_Skier said:
go to pull apart they have some XJs with rear hitches. I don't recall seeing any tow hooks though

I tried taking a hitch off at the Lynnwood pulla part but I only had a 3/8 ratchet set. Those bolts will require a breaker bar, next time.

nickguy said:
Would love to participate. I could bring a cheap SWR and expensive multimeter. I think Michael's list is really good. Some things that I wonder about... and possible ideas.

1: How much to air down and under what circumstances. (At least out at Reiter it seems I have already spent quite a bit of time helping out people who had lost bead seat) Know has a lot to do with tire/ wheel combinations.

2: What is a good list of trail spares? Again I know this is dependent on lots of factors but I always seem to be thinking of something different than

Partial front driveshaft cps, tire valve stems, fluids, wire, tape, jbweld, hoses, coolant tank, ujoints/straps, bolts and stuff... Hell we should do a database of common trail breakdowns...

3: Same as above for tools.

4: Trail First Aid? Any EMT's out there?

5: Wheeling technique generally safety...

Using rock rails to go round trees...
When to go slow when to "press on regardless"
How many times to attempt an obstacle (Tread lightly?)
Off Camber stuff...
I see a lot of talk about picking a "line" and would really like to get this a bit better. Don't know if any of you have been to a racing school but there is generally discussion of theory done before getting out on the track . One of the things I really value about this forum is that people talk a bit about that. Again many things are givens. ie why it is bad to use lift blocks? Why are long arms a good idea, why lifting a jeep without an adjustable track bar is bad What to go read...

6: Why stop there? If there can be master gardener classes what about master wheelers (sounds awful). If people have done a noob class maybe they could go teach
other noobs. That addresses the location issue a bit.

7: I would like to suggest Reiter as a place with a good range of stuff to do.

Ok that is enough. Again whatever date is picked I will do my best to attend. I may not be able to do 2 days but again will do my best.

Thanks John for starting this thread.

I think that some of the less "hands-on" classes could be handled here on the forum allowing time for the other classes on the trail. I'm about to go on leave for a week or two, but I'll get started on some material that we can sticky when I return.
This could easily become a multi-day event with all of the different things to learn. If there is enough interest, I'll post up a poll to see what the majority needs/wants to be taught. Again, I think that a few classes mixed with some light/medium wheeling would be great for a day trip.

John

I THINK WALKER WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO HOLD A NOOB - FEST.
REITER IS BIGGER BUT IT IS ALSO BUSIER .
WALKER HAS SOME NICE TRAILS AND OFFERS MANY CHALLENGES FOR BEGINNERS.
NAXJA ADOPTED A TRAIL AT WALKER AND IT WOULD BE A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO GET SOME DNR HOURS AND TO TEACH THE PEOPLE WHAT THE CLUB IS DOING FOR THE ORV SIGHTS.
I THINK WALKER HAS NICE OPEN TRAILS AND IT WOULD BE EASIER TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON OUT OF THERE RIGS HELPING WITH INSTRUCTION AND GUIDING PEOPLE THREW OBSTACLES.
IT HAS A NICE STAGING AREA WITH POTTYS FOR THE PRE RUN INSPECTIONS.
YOU COULD HAVE MORE THAN ONE GROUP RUNNING AND STILL COME TOGETHER AT THE TOP FOR LUNCH .

Sideshow said:
I tried taking a hitch off at the Lynnwood pulla part but I only had a 3/8 ratchet set. Those bolts will require a breaker bar, next time.

Take PB blast with you, I know about those bolts.

okeedokee said:
I THINK WALKER WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO HOLD A NOOB - FEST.
REITER IS BIGGER BUT IT IS ALSO BUSIER .
WALKER HAS SOME NICE TRAILS AND OFFERS MANY CHALLENGES FOR BEGINNERS.
NAXJA ADOPTED A TRAIL AT WALKER AND IT WOULD BE A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO GET SOME DNR HOURS AND TO TEACH THE PEOPLE WHAT THE CLUB IS DOING FOR THE ORV SIGHTS.
I THINK WALKER HAS NICE OPEN TRAILS AND IT WOULD BE EASIER TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON OUT OF THERE RIGS HELPING WITH INSTRUCTION AND GUIDING PEOPLE THREW OBSTACLES.
IT HAS A NICE STAGING AREA WITH POTTYS FOR THE PRE RUN INSPECTIONS.
YOU COULD HAVE MORE THAN ONE GROUP RUNNING AND STILL COME TOGETHER AT THE TOP FOR LUNCH .

good idea watch the caps though http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/fontselection/a/allcaps.htm

I don't think John's question was what to teach or the format of the event, but who would be interested in paticicpating. Those who are interested in helping put the thing on can communicate and iron out the details in a nother thread or via PM.

So, who would be interested in attending such an event?

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
I don't think John's question was what to teach or the format of the event, bt who would be interested in entertaining. Those who are interested in helping put the thing on can communicate and iron out the details.

So, who would be interested in attending such and event?

-----Matt-----

I would be up for both attending and helping.

Back