• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caliper bolt torque?????

What year,later models are 11-13ft/lbs.

300$XJ said:
people actually torque them?

my thoughts exactly...

side note: i was rushing the other night when changing my hub out and cross threaded the top one ever so slightly... sucks but oh well. a 5/16-18 is super close, but what's the actual size? i know it's metric... 8x1?

300$XJ said:
what did I win?
Become a member and you'll find out :scottm:

I don't torque them either. C'mon, only homos torque their caliper bolts to spec. :lecture: :doh: :wave: J/K, LOL. But seriously, I worked in a shop for 2 years and never torqued or looked up a torque spec for a caliper bolt. Guess what? Never had one fall out either. I realize that is what you are technically "supposed" to do, but that spec is more just to keep some newb from cranking them down with a 1/2" drive ratchet with an 18" handle and pulling the threads. I did get in the habit of torquing wheel bolts after warping a brake rotor (no kidding).

So if you "nominate" me or 300$XJ, I have to ask, is it a nomination for best use of time, or least wasted time????

asp387 said:
side note: i was rushing the other night when changing my hub out and cross threaded the top one ever so slightly... sucks but oh well. a 5/16-18 is super close, but what's the actual size? i know it's metric... 8x1?

8x1.25 I just picked up some new ones yesterday

I have never torqued them either...

good to know. i definitely don't have an 8x1.25 tap though. looks like i'm gonna do it with 5x16-18 :(

Get a helicoil.

mmm. that's probably the correct solution.

Back