• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone using QT Medium Duty Springs???

TwistedFocus

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing alot of research and had pretty much decided that the Quadratec Medium Springs sounded like they should be my best option. I have read some conflicting information and wonder if anyone has used them or has any real-world experience with them.

I have a stock 01 XJ and have no immediate plans to lift (maybe a BB down the road) and the rears are saggy. I'm looking for a soft riding OEM replacement, but I often take alot of gear with me on weekend camping trips and could use a little more height and rate in the back for that. A friend of mine has the HDs on his rig and it rides a little stiff for my liking and seems to have limited flex a bit (although that's not that big a deal for my mediocre mall-crawler, mainly the ride quality.)

Standard duty 5.5" arch p/n 56010.10
Medium duty 6.125" arch p/n 56010.12
Heavy duty 7" arch p/n 56010.11

Going by their catalog, I surmised that the mediums would likely ride a bit above stock, being that their arch is about 5/8" higher and presumably somewhat higher rate (although not necessarily). Sounds like it should yield somewhere b/w .5" and .75" above stock and not be as stiff as the HD, assuming the rate is less than the HD and not just an arch height difference. Sounds great, but I have read here and other places that people are saying they are the same as stock on later models.

Does anyone know for sure? I guess I need to call them anyway, but I like to do as much research as possible myself before I make the call to the manufacturer or vendor at least in this case). I'm by no means against the HDs, as I feel they are not a bad choice for me, but I was hoping for a solid "in-between" choice for the sake of ride quality.

Thanks!

Last edited:
gotta mention this first... those springs come from Crown Automotive. Quadratec doesn't make them. They're not sold exclusively to Quadratec, either.

The "standard" springs are light load springs... more for a pre-96 XJ when they were a little lighter. The medium duty springs should be good replacements for a stock Jeep, even if they sit a little taller. here's from a post I made back in March. If you do a little research on the various load ratings, you might learn a little bit. might also get bored crazy, though. :) There are more springs available, but quadratec only buys 3 of them. http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/steering/XJ2.htm#41 You need to order them through a distributor, like Gerroffroad, crown doesn't sell to the public.

56010.12 - stock, lightest weight load available, soft ride (probably lighter load than your 2000 stock springs)
56010.11 - heaviest load rating (LT). usually gives a 1" lift.
56010.10 - medium-heavy duty (LM). I think these were in tow package XJs and more later XJs.

Thanks for the info.

I may have to do a little more digging, but I still feel the Mediums will likely work for me. I just hope they are actually a little taller than stock, as it seems like they would based on those specs.

Ideally, I'd like to see it sit a half-inch or so higher in the back so that it looks more level unloaded (to make up for the rear flare opening being about that much lower than the front flare). I figure even if it's the same rate as a factory spring, my 200ish pounds of gear shouldn't make it ride much lower than a stock spring at that point, although I would hope they are a bit higher rate than stock also.

I'm probably putting too much thought into it. I'm just surprised there seems to be no one that has used the medium duty springs. I plan to do the spring swap sometime in the coming week, so I'll update with my results.

Worst case, I'm sure they'll at least put me back to level and I can use airbags for load leveling as needed. I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too - without spending any money :spin1: .

FYI for anyone looking to buy these from Quadratec:
I just called them because their online descriptions for those three part numbers don't match up to what their catalog says (posted above also). The salesperson said the catalog descriptions are the definately correct ones to go by.

ordinarily, that would be good. but, the current catalogs are wrong. follow the numbers I posted above. I work in CS at Qtec... trust me.

That's great. I guess I'll be calling you or someone there when I get these then, because when I said that the website and some other places say the .12's are Standard Duty, he assured me that's wrong and that the .12 is the Medium Duty I was seeking. He also told me the nuts come with the u-bolts I ordered, where the catalog says the opposite... so the more I read, the more I think I got a bunch of wrong info and would have been better off to have not called first. It's already shipped now.

I wish I would have asked the guy to say his name again more clearly, as I couldn't make it out and now I'm sure I'll be on the hook for shipping this all back if/when it's wrong. I won't be re-ordering if that's the case.

if you do a search on the qtec webpage for "52000051", it will pull up the .12 spring. Now, take a look at the crown catalog I linked to earlier, and those are the basic "standard" springs.

I'll talk to you tomorrow and figure things out for ya.

whatevah said:
if you do a search on the qtec webpage for "52000051", it will pull up the .12 spring.

Yeah, it even says SD, which I told the guy I assumed to mean Standard Duty. I really feel dumb now. Thanks for your help on this.

Jerry (Whateva) got me all fixed up today. I'll post back with Medium spring results once I make some time in the coming week.

well, they're leaf springs.. so not a lot of fun. typically, you'll end up taking a sawzall to the bolt holding the spring to the shackle, and occasionally at the frame end, as well. so count on making a trip to the local hardware store for some new grade 8 bolts. And you usually end up needing to replace the ubolts holding the spring to the axle... so figure on replacing those, as well. for that, doublecheck which axle you have, before you buy the ubolts, as there are 2 different sizes. Dana 35/44 use a smaller ubolt than the Chrysler 8.25.

It's not really difficult process, but the rusted/seized bolts make it a really annoying job to do.

Hey, still waiting For the results on the intsall. You're the only one who came up on my search for medium duty springs. I know this is an old post but I am very interested. thanks

Im interested to see these too. My fathers 01 xj needs new springs and he doesn't want to lift it so Ive been leaning toward the medium duty springs. He doesn't tow with it but he does haul stuff a fair amount.

Sorry guys, I had a bunch of other things come up in the last year since I bought these and haven't installed them yet. I have been spending all my time tinkering with my other hobbies (racing, motorcycles, etc.).

I do hope to get them on soon and will update here when I do.

Back