• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vital Gauges?

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have the idiot guages in my 2000 and want to get some aftermarket guages. I'm thinking the two I really need are the temp guages for the tranny and engine. My question is what is the difference/ pros and cons of have either a water temp gauge or an oil temp gauge?

Won't they both tell me the same thing?

Do I really need any other gauges. The only other one would really be an oil presure gauge put I can check that manually before I go and if the engine temp begins to rise.

What do you tap into to provide backlighting to these individual gauges?

Oil temp is not necessary unless your doing some sort of high rpms for extended periods.
Voltmeter is nice to have. So you can see both under and over charging states.
Tap into the dash lights for your gauge lights so they are only on when you need them.

I'd suggest just swapping in the full stock gauge cluster. I just did this swap yesterday actually on my '97 and it is just plug-n-play. No mods needed.

Oil pressure, Voltage and Water temp. Tranny temp and Oil temp only if you are driving heavy all the time or putting it under a lot of load.

Can't you swap out a gauged cluster for your idiot light cluster? That won't give you everything you want, but it couldn't hurt.

I just did trans temp and voltage, mind you I have a full cluster already. With dash real-estate at a premium in an XJ, I think these are the only 2 other gauges I need, and I wheel mine hard.

if you do a guage cluster swap you will have all the guages you need. although i did one on my 94 and thats not digital. i dont know what you have to do for yours

who said no to oil pressure gauge?

twodollarbill said:
I'd suggest just swapping in the full stock gauge cluster. I just did this swap yesterday actually on my '97 and it is just plug-n-play. No mods needed.

No special mod to it? Even though the idiot gauge use a toggle type on/off switch to light-up the gauges. I have a 2000.

mavrick said:
The only other one would really be an oil presure gauge put I can check that manually before I go and if the engine temp begins to rise.

this could be what he was reading

Ahh, yeah that's not such a great idea.

Trust me, you want an oil pressure gauge. It's nice to be able to see when your pressure drops while you are on a steep incline. My idiot uncle blew an engine by not paying attention to his OP gauge while attempting to back up a steep hill in the sand. High RPM + Low OP = spun rod bearings at a minimum. Not too bright, that one....

mavrick said:
No special mod to it? Even though the idiot gauge use a toggle type on/off switch to light-up the gauges. I have a 2000.

No sensor changes - fully plug-and-pray.

OBD-II gages are driven by the ECU, and the ECU does not use any "switches" to get readings. Pressure sensors and temperature sensors are just that - they're sensors. Meaning, they give a variable output in response to a changing condition.

The only real issue for you will be the fact that you will be changing the odo mileage, and most state vehicle codes have a mechanism for dealing with that (check your state's vehicle code, should be accessible from your state's website.)

Won't they both tell me the same thing?
==================================
Coolant temp and oil temp:
No, but few have a problem with oil temp.
But hard offing in hot weather is when it would happen or anytime the engine is under heavy stress at low speeds for a long time.
Were the coolant has forced air to help keep it's temp down the oil relies on road speeds to move air over the pan. In all but a few cases this is more then up to keeping the oil cool even at low speeds.
Most offing is short burst of high stress. With time for both the rad and oil to cool between big rocks etc.
If your using your XJ to pull farm plow. (It HAS been done just to prove a point) Get a oil cooler and gauge.
Else most just change the oil a little more often. A good idea for many reason and maybe vent the hood also a good idea in general.

Last edited:
thermometer, dvom, manual oil pressure Gauge

For the record, all of the gauge readings on your 97+ XJ are altered by the computer. You will always get better readings from an aftermarket gauge, even if it is monitoring the same metric. There is a good amount of information about this in the interweb.

56322 From: Stu Olson <solson8@q...>
Date: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:12pm
Subject: RE: Re: For those of you who think your TJ temperature gauge is linear and somewhat accurate...

After reading Joe's and Joe's posts (did that make sense?), I dropped a
line to a friend in Detroit. He is one of the three engineers that was
responsible for the Rubicon TJ. You wouldn't believe how that thing
came to be....but that is another story for another day.

I asked him about the gauges and how their signal is derived....time
averaged, are the gauges linear.....etc. His response is as follows:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey Stu ...

"OFF THE RECORD" OF COURSE !

Uh Oh... busted ! One of my "pet peaves... "Truth in gauging" . The
computer does, and is conditioning the information. Fluctuating gauges
make a lot of customers very nervous. Many just don't understand.

Of course, if you really understand an engine, you know this is
"normal". However, too many complaints in the field. This has driven a
"dampened" gauge strategy.

I personally hate this... I want to know what's going on ! What's the
point of a gauge if it's not relaying accurate information ? Bet I'm
preaching to the choir on this one, right ?? LOL

Temp gauge holds 210 for a long time... then moves. It's been changed
several times since the launch of TJ.

The Volt gauge is really dampened.... averaged big time.

And the F ''n fuel gauge ! Don't even get me started on THAT one !!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The remainder of the e-mail had to be cut out.....not ready for public
distribution. Hang in there....better things are hopefully coming if he
gets his way with the TJ.

TC!

Stu Olson
www.stu-offroad.com

56324 From: Joe W <arizonajeep@c...>
Date: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:18pm
Subject: RE: Re: For those of you who think your TJ temperature gauge is linear and somewhat accurate...

Hi Stu,

It's nice to have someone admit what we already knew... and while I
completely understand their reasoning for filtering the information which
goes to our gauges; there are a few of us who push their rigs to the point
where filtered information isn't good enough. Customers don't like fuel
gauges which move when you turn a corner, so the factory programs the
computer to ignore fluctuations in fuel level signals which are of short
duration... unfortunately, there are a few discriminating TJ owners out here
who NEED to know what the unfiltered data is... and short of reprogramming
the factory computer to take out the filtering windows... we are screwed
unless we replace the gauges.

I originally replaced my gauges because I wanted a different look in my flat
fender TJ... once I replaced them and discovered how "dynamic" things really
are when you aren't viewing the world through the filter of a computer; I'd
never even consider going back to the factory setup... no way... no how.

Back when I replaced my gauges... I didn't know that the instruments were
computer controlled... I didn't know that the data to the instruments was
filtered... but after replacing the gauges it became clear that DC engineers
HEAVILY filter the data that we see on our computer controlled instruments
<sigh>. Once again, an automotive manufacturer decides to save us from
ourselves.

Thanks again for the confirmation of our suspicions...

Joe

More info:
TJ Owners.. your factory gauges are nothing more than idiot lights with nice pointers

Back