• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hazard Flasher

brenttrf

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have had three people tell me where the Hazard flasher on my 2000 XJ is. None were corect. Does anyone know?

Don't know where it is but the turn signal flasher is also the hazard flasher.
But the hazard section has it's own fuse in the PDC.
Lower left instrument panel black.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Don't know where it is but the turn signal flasher is also the hazard flasher.
But the hazard section has it's own fuse in the PDC.
Lower left instrument panel black.

Jeep says they are two different flashers. I went to the parts store and they have both listed for my model(hazard and signal). I have replaced the signal flasher , but I need to replace the hazard flasher. I was told it was in the steering colum or near the fuse panel. neither of which are correct. the turn signal flasher isnt in either of those places as well.

It is to the left of the steering column, behind the panel in front of your knees when you are in the drivers seat.

Hmm, according to the FSM for the 2000 there is just ONE. I just replaced mine a couple weeks back and the flasher was behind the left knee blocker along the left hand side of the opening. You can't see it as it is contained in a harness. You have to grab the harness and kinda twist it around to get to it.

Where was this signal flasher you replaced located?

Tim_MN said:
It is to the left of the steering column, behind the panel in front of your knees when you are in the drivers seat.

That is where I found the signal flasher, but I can't find the hazard flasher.

Idiot Wind said:
Hmm, according to the FSM for the 2000 there is just ONE. I just replaced mine a couple weeks back and the flasher was behind the left knee blocker along the left hand side of the opening. You can't see it as it is contained in a harness. You have to grab the harness and kinda twist it around to get to it.

Where was this signal flasher you replaced located?

That was where the signal flasher was I replaced. I called Jeep and they told me there were two. I wanted to confirm that. then i went down to the parts store and they had two numbers listed. one for flasher and one for hazard...

Now I am really confused

brenttrf said:
That was where the signal flasher was I replaced. I called Jeep and they told me there were two. I wanted to confirm that. then i went down to the parts store and they had two numbers listed. one for flasher and one for hazard...

Now I am really confused
I would be too. It was my understanding that earlier models had two so perhaps your Jeep guy had a wrong year in there? I do have the FSM right in front of me and it is made very clear there is only one.

So do i need to go find a combination flasher? the parts store said there were two, so i installed the "signal flasher", but they didnt say anything about a combo..

brenttrf said:
So do i need to go find a combination flasher? the parts store said there were two, so i installed the "signal flasher", but they didnt say anything about a combo..
well, good question. Are you able to get a part number off the flasher you put in? if you got this from the dealer I might be able to find my old one and compare? If you don't feel like you have the correct flasher, this is the one I installed in mine.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=299&location_id=129

You will notice the reference to combination flasher and the fact it controls both turn signals and hazards. I think I paid under $20.00 for it. Yeah, much cheaper than the dealer which I was quoted around $60.00.

I got it at Autozone, Trico product EP27.

*edit* ok, that took a whole minute to find my old one. Again, if you got this from the dealer, pull it and look at the terminals. Mine has a reference to the Hazard being the middle terminal (HAZ) with the Turn Signal being the bottom (TS). The top says (IGN), the left (BAT) and the right (GRN). Hopefully yours will have something similar. If not, I would absolutely take that back to the parts guy, he simply gave you the wrong product.

Last edited:
Idiot Wind said:
well, good question. Are you able to get a part number off the flasher you put in? if you got this from the dealer I might be able to find my old one and compare? If you don't feel like you have the correct flasher, this is the one I installed in mine.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=299&location_id=129

You will notice the reference to combination flasher and the fact it controls both turn signals and hazards. I think I paid under $20.00 for it. Yeah, much cheaper than the dealer which I was quoted around $60.00.

I got it at Autozone, Trico product EP27.

*edit* ok, that took a whole minute to find my old one. Again, if you got this from the dealer, pull it and look at the terminals. Mine has a reference to the Hazard being the middle terminal (HAZ) with the Turn Signal being the bottom (TS). The top says (IGN), the left (BAT) and the right (GRN). Hopefully yours will have something similar. If not, I would absolutely take that back to the parts guy, he simply gave you the wrong product.

I am headed out of town this am. I put everything back together last night and when I get back, I will pull the flasher and see what I've got. I paid about $12 for these units a pice at Napa. I will see if there are some part numbers on it and also follow up on the combo unit.

Thanks, so much. I'll let you know what happens.

Thing is the NAPA one shows is 5 prong you should have the correct one, they show two but there both the same.
With this type of flasher if your Turn signals work but your hazards don't it's not a bad flasher.

maybe it was just a signal flasher and it only has one flashing circuit in it. and the other one listed hazard flasher may have both.or you got a defective one.

Back