• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon or This XJ

SuperDuperXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at getting another XJ, I have a couple in mind and this one caught my attention.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=958780

I have found another 01 XJ 100k mi. 33s, locker in rear, winch, sliders, taraflex lift $4500

I was supposed to buy an 04 rubicon, 33s stock suspension but some lame coil spacers, exhaust, and intake and 37k mi $13k but he wants to hold out to get more cash

The biggest key for me is that if it has a locker it has to be an air locker or electric because I will be spending a good amount of time in the mountains on snowy and icy roads. I would love to find one that has arb's front/rear but it's difficult right now. Not many people are buying because the economy sucks so bad, but the linked above XJ for 6500 would be a good deal I think. Still the Rubi is nice because it will hold its value and has lockers, 44s, 4:1, topless etc.

What do you think?

***This is a 3rd Vehicle***
1) Daily driver - Jetta TDI
2) Secondary vehicle - GMC Duramax
3) Car for Colorado - snowboarding in the winter and 4wheeling in the summer

the xj is already set up, just change the front locker to an arb and you're set and no more worries about ice roads with a locker.:cheers:

Last edited:
I think you'll find a bias towards the XJ on this board.
We love our 4 wheel drive station wagons.

;)

Russ Pottenger said:
I think you'll find a bias towards the XJ on this board.
We love our 4 wheel drive station wagons.

;)
:D x2:clap:

I understand, I love XJs. I have owned about 25 in the last 5 years. The best deal I ever got was $350 for a 1993 5 years ago. It was awesome and I wish I would have never sold it, it was sweet. I've had a few built XJs but sold. They are pretty solid little Jeeps and personally I love to buy Jeeps, love to play with them and for whatever reason I sell them too. But this time, I want one Jeep I can jump in, go up the mountains to board with, jeep in the summer and leave in colorado while I am in San diego. I would prefer a near turn key Jeep.

These XJ's to me are similar to an Avant AudiS4, fast as hell but the utility of a wagon. The XJ has plenty of room to carry stuff and easily as capable of a TJ. No topless but roll it once then cut off the roof...

The 04 rubi rides like crap, and its dana 44's are iffy. Alum rear, low pinion 44/30 hybrid front.

For 13k, you can build one hell of an XJ. While the XJ is going to have 3 times the miles on it, they will do 350k and still rung strong if you take care of them, and as you said, this isn't your DD.

iirc, the tj rear 44 is an alum housing?

I could be wrong, but it doesn't change much.

okay, so I was wrong. It was bound to happen eventually. :)

XJ is still a better platform for a build. ;)

I'd buy the 01 XJ on here if I can get the right price, as many of you already know you never get anything back (at least it seems that way) when you sell the vehicle unless it has a v8 or ridiculously low miles. I will see what I can do, the other for $4500 would be a good platform.

Back