• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitfalls if any while I am looking for an 4.0 with Quadratrack?

heminut

NAXJA Forum User
I read about the 99-01 head cracking problem,but,that seems to be the only major pitfall?How hard is it to find a true Quadratrack drive?If I were to go with the standard open spool rears,then to add limited slips,what if any major pitfalls await me?Thanks

i'm confused on your nomenclature. i think" quad" t-cases were in grands only. several part time cases were available and the 242 full time case in xj's. and a rearend can't be a spool and open at the same time( in the context of how you worded it) stock axles are open or have limited slips. after market offers those ,plus lockers, spools, and selectable combinations(like an air locker) which do you want? just search for "lockers" on this site and plenty should pop up.

Quadra drive is on the grand cherokee's, WJ's, they use a special pump in the transfer case and the differentials that shift power between wheels not using the brakes, alot of the other systems, non jeep, use the brake trick to transfer torque kind of like what you can do using the emergency brake on an open rear on a snowy slippery hill. The system uses georotors which do the transferring, neat system and works great, can actually transfer 90% of the torqe to ONE wheel that has traction.
This company developed them http://www.vianenterprises.com/

Thanks...very interesting,but,are the gerotors not what an standard oil pump is?Are these also used in the coupling of the quadratrack equiped jeeps?Thanks.

Thats just the thing, Cherokee's (XJ's) do not have quadratrac or quadra anything on them....that is a Grand Cherokee (and i believe now the Commander) thing only.

Talyn said:
Didn't some of the earlier ones (pre 90s?) have quarda trac or something quad?

-Chris

Negative.

You're thinking CommandTrac vs. SelectTrac, all that means is 231 vs 242 (and 84 - 86 different cases but all came down to the same thing.)

Don't ask me which is command and wihc is select, aparetnly I have a very bad memory for marketing gimmicks ;)

GSequoia said:
You're thinking CommandTrac vs. SelectTrac, all that means is 231 vs 242 (and 84 - 86 different cases but all came down to the same thing.)

Don't ask me which is command and wihc is select, aparetnly I have a very bad memory for marketing gimmicks ;)

Nope, thats not what I am thinking about.. just remember seeind a qurda somethign on the back of somethign with wood grain.. maybei t was a pioneer.. maybe not at all.

242=SelectTrac, 231= CommandTrac. No really marketing gimics, just odd names.

GSequoia said:
You might be thinking of Quadra-Link - Jeep's name for the front suspension.

Not unless that was advertised on the rear hatch.

I think I am just getting two memories different vehicles confused.. like a 89 Grand Wagoneer and an XJ Pioneer.

-Chris

Thank all of you for trying.I spoke to several older guys who gave me a way to contact folks who mostly provided me with enough info to make me dangerous!1984 they had 2 diff.systems called "Command trac" which was a part time shift on the fly and "Selsct-trac"which allowed the option of fulltime 4x4.Most agree that during all of the advertising flury,there was an option called "Quadratrac"which gave you limited slip in both axels and all have this displayed on either the fender or quarterpanels.I did have an old 69 J-10 with this setup.It would go up a tree because of the real 4 wheel drive.It had the old 360" AMC v8(not tobe confused with Mopar 360's)and was powerful but,was geared so low that it drank fuel like mad.Tough??It had a full size tree fall onto the roof,when the previous owner miscalculated.It din't even bust the windshield alto it hammered the roof into a twisted mess.They used a jack to gain entry,the roof never leaked and the dorrs shut perfectly.I only gave it up because the frame was rotten badly and I tripled my$ by selling it.If anyone needs the info about trans used in which jeeps for the years from 1945-71 was an T-90,prior war years used an Y-84 and after that,I got a huge list if ya need to know,go to www.jeeptech.com/trans/ and all are there.

heminut said:
Thank all of you for trying.I spoke to several older guys who gave me a way to contact folks who mostly provided me with enough info to make me dangerous!1984 they had 2 diff.systems called "Command trac" which was a part time shift on the fly and "Selsct-trac"which allowed the option of fulltime 4x4.Most agree that during all of the advertising flury,there was an option called "Quadratrac"which gave you limited slip in both axels and all have this displayed on either the fender or quarterpanels.I did have an old 69 J-10 with this setup.It would go up a tree because of the real 4 wheel drive.It had the old 360" AMC v8(not tobe confused with Mopar 360's)and was powerful but,was geared so low that it drank fuel like mad.Tough??It had a full size tree fall onto the roof,when the previous owner miscalculated.It din't even bust the windshield alto it hammered the roof into a twisted mess.They used a jack to gain entry,the roof never leaked and the dorrs shut perfectly.I only gave it up because the frame was rotten badly and I tripled my$ by selling it.If anyone needs the info about trans used in which jeeps for the years from 1945-71 was an T-90,prior war years used an Y-84 and after that,I got a huge list if ya need to know,go to www.jeeptech.com/trans/ and all are there.

XJ's never came stock with a limited slip front diff, and even the full time 4wd models didn't always have a LSD in the rear. As for the "Quadratrac", I think you're sources are likely confusing full time 4wd, as offered by the NP242 "Selectrac" transfer case with "Quadratrac", which was never available on the XJ, or TJ for that matter.

anyone know the "real" difference between cherokees with a 4.0 and an 4.0 high output??I have an 95 and have the highoutput badge underneath my 4.0 badge? Thanks

different intake, exhaust, smog, computer.. general improvements in some places and deprovements in others.

heminut said:
anyone know the "real" difference between cherokees with a 4.0 and an 4.0 high output??I have an 95 and have the highoutput badge underneath my 4.0 badge? Thanks

All 91+ XJs are HO's.

Back