• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke Down

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Just got word the XJ broke down on the kid on the way home from the beach. It is parked in a bank parking lot awaiting rescue.

He says it started "freaking out, spraying fluid all over and lost power steering. He shut it down and it was dripping and smoking."

Heading out with the two bar right now.....cross your fingers.

Seal Beach.

Got it home. Fan belt wrapped around the fan (hence the power steering)

Probably started to overheat then the coolant tank leaked. (Steam not smoke) I don't think he went much more than a mile before pulling over.

Seems pretty easy fix....gotta try to find a coolant bottle today so I can fix over the weekend.

Is the belt hard to get in?

88trailcrawler said:
Is the belt hard to get in?
nope. loosen the bolts that hold the power steering pump in place, dont forget the one in the back. if you look at it you will see how it pivots. there is a long bolt under the pump that is the adjustment for the belt tension. turn it in till you can get the belt on, then turn it back out to tighten the belt up. its ALOT easier if you remove the airbox, but it can be done with it still in.

Thanks Grimm. Figured it wouldn't be too hard. I hadn't really looked at it yet.

Just ran up and ordered the tank and belt at AZ, so I can get em in on Saturday. Looks like Saturday the 5th is a wrenching day for me.

My JCR steering is due to arrive tomorrow!

BajaCurt said:
Hey man I keep a spare new coolant bottle in the back of my XJ at all times...just in case. If for some reason yours doesn't come in in time let me know. You can have mine and just replace it when yours arrives.
Baja Curt

That is way cool of you. But reality is, I probably won't get around to messing with it until Saturday anyway. The kid can drive another car to the beach until then.

Thanks anyway.

Let me know if you need help, John. I'm looking for something to do this weekend.

xjohnnyc said:
Let me know if you need help, John. I'm looking for something to do this weekend.

I've got a buddys suspension to rework this weekend. Wanna take care of that for me? :eeks1:

The question is "Why did the belt come off?"

Common problem is the crank pulley separating. Have a look and see. The belt won't just slip off. SoCalBilll had the same problem with his daughters 99

silverslk said:
The question is "Why did the belt come off?"

Common problem is the crank pulley separating. Have a look and see. The belt won't just slip off. SoCalBilll had the same problem with his daughters 99

Hmmm...good quesiton, I just figured it broke and got sucked into the fan. I can't look at it till Sat. if I got question, I will be back on line.

What? Just because I'm Asian, you want me to be your gardener??

Kiss my little yellow :moon:

:D

xjohnnyc said:
What? Just because I'm Asian, you want me to be your gardener??

Kiss my little yellow :moon:

:D

I got some laundry, too.

:laugh3:

7188243_227027f4fc.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojm1Xzwlc9Q

Bunch o' racists. :smsoap:

Back