• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans went bad, info?

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, my brothers 1999 trans overheated major real fast, and started making clunking sounds. its at home now, but we need to know if anyone knows where to get a trans from, or any fixes people know of to get it back in working order. everything was maintained so oil etc is probably not the issue. i guess just all the abuse of offroad finally claimed the trans.

its a 1999 xj, 8.25 rear, no abs. some local shop was quoting $1400, but the jeep has long arms, which is incorporated into the cross member too, so im sure that $1400 doesnt' include taking all of that apart to drop the trans.

so...if anyone has a trans laying around, or knows of a place to get a good working one that i can swap in myself, let me know. thanks guys.

I would consider getting the trans and doing the swap yourself, that way you know some knucklehead that has never seen your setup doesn't screw it up. I'll keep my ear to the ground for a trans for ya. :)

When where and how did it overheat. AW4 were talking about I assume? Clunking noises??? Never seen one do that without breaking internal parts. Are you positive it is the trans and not a diff, shaft, joint, tcase, etc.? What does it do RIGHT NOW? Will the car move? Chatter, lurch, slips bad???

AW4 is pretty fricking tough to burn up. If it was an overtemp problem...Change the fluid and try it...I have seen some first hand miracles from an AW4 that was cooked until it stopped moving...cooled it down, drove it home and changed fluid.

JohnX said:
AW4 is pretty fricking tough to burn up. If it was an overtemp problem...Change the fluid and try it...I have seen some first hand miracles from an AW4 that was cooked until it stopped moving...cooled it down, drove it home and changed fluid.
mine did that on the grapevine last year, smoking like hell, and turned the fluid dark brown. changed fluid and filter, and now im still driving it today.

I had mine smoke and heat up on Cajon pass once. Same thing, changed fluid and it's been fine since.

alright, so as of now, oil and filter have been changed, drove it around a little and doesn't make any sounds, works fine, butttt, the temp still goes way up and it might seem like its going up too fast. so i'm gonna swap out the temp guage and go from there. hopefully i dont have to swap out the trans.

trans temp. its some b&m transmission temp. guage, bought it a while ago. have one in my jeep as well, so im thinking about swapping them and seeing if the temp goes back to normal.

if the temp in the trans is jumping up really fast it means something in there has alot friction, which is not a good sign. what did the fluid that came out look like?

well the fluid was 30k old, but it was like a redish brown, maybe burgundy color. it wasnt that bad. and the temp was moving a little too quickly in the beginning for me to beleive it was actually heating up. so hopefully its the gauge.

anyone have or have seen this kind of thing before? maybe its a simple adjustment or replacement of a part inside the trans?

Check and make sure a cooler line hasn't gotten pinched also. Might give a look at the coooler too if its an external type.

Back