• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shock mounting bar...

_MURDERED OUT_

NAXJA Forum User
I have no reason for posting this other than to show anyone who might want to move or need to reposition their rear shock upper mounting points how to simply do so. I did this because of stretching the rear end back about 5" or so and needed to make some sort of crossmember for the shocks to bolt to. So i made this deal, it bolts under the frame using the factory 2 bolts per side that once held the bumpstops on.

100_0800.jpg

100_0801-1.jpg

And i had to cut off one of the lower shock mounts and move it around from the rear of the axle to the front of the axle.
100_0803.jpg

100_0805.jpg

hope somebody may get some use or idea out of this....

Last edited:
those are some taaaaaaaaaaaaall lift blocks
Are those traction bar mounts on the top of the axle?

I'm thinkin maybe the bolt holes should be oriented 90* from where they are. So they end up parallel to the ends on the axle.

I might be looking at it wrong though.

yeah they are not parallel, but i dont see any reason why both top and bottom mounts have to be oriented in the exact same direction. The shocks still move in and out regardless of which way the upper or lower mount is pointing...

And those mounts you see on top of the axle were for a traction set up i had. Im scrapping that and goin with just one traction bar/ladder bar set up on the pass side.

OMG, i run lift blocks, my unibody is goin to break in half... Yep i have 4" lift blocks in there, have for many years, that same set on 2 cherokees. Its fine.

Last edited:
lift blocks lol

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
yeah they are not parallel, but i dont see any reason why both top and bottom mounts have to be oriented in the exact same direction. The shocks still move in and out regardless of which way the upper or lower mount is pointing...

And those mounts you see on top of the axle were for a traction set up i had. Im scrapping that and goin with just one traction bar/ladder bar set up on the pass side.

OMG, i run lift blocks, my unibody is goin to break in half... Yep i have 4" lift blocks in there, have for many years, that same set on 2 cherokees. Its fine.
don't get your panties all in a bunch, I just commented that they were tall and was hoping that you were running a ladderbar setup.

could you show more of the ladderbar setup on the passenger side? most people avoid it because of the exhaust

_MURDERED OUT_ said:

Learned the lesson first hand, and it is NOT easy to fix this on the trail. They had to use a winch front and rear to lift and move the Jeep over the axle again.

2622362737_c4505661b6.jpg

^2" lift blocks at NWFest this last weekend.

:peace:

Last edited:
KSXJ said:
looks like this one. But I would switch yours to use a single bolt design like JKS and move your shock mount on the axle up so it doesn't get hung up on the rocks.

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKMOUNT&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

Man, that does look similar! ha ha. I do use one single bolt for the upper shock mount( 7/16") for each shock. Just have 2 tabs to make it a double shear configuration if i got that right????

I am still working on my traction bar crossmember. It will be goin across the frame rails a little forward of the leaf spring mounts. And as you can see my exhaust stops before the front spring mounts

xj9140 said:
you moved your rear end back 5"? Do you have any issues with it hitting the gas tank?

Yeah i flipped the springs around, added 2 extra leaves from a 6" tomken pack i had laying around. Havent hit the tank yet, tho it is really close. I think it will make it, or at the very least the rear end will self clearence itself!! :D

And on the lift block thing. I run cast iron blocks and 5/8" U-bolts. No aluminum crap to bust or baby u bolts to shear off... OR Maybe ive just had good luck so far :dunno:

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
LOL,Do a little research!

I was gonna say the liftblocks looked like polyuerathane. A aluminum block is disaster wating to happen. Steel or solid no other way to do a lift block right IMO but I personaly dont like them but if it works for you then go with it.

Also could that desighn be tweeked to run in the stock location to give a diffrent angle of the shocks. Maybe bolt or weld in the area where the shocks mount and have a 1/4 inch pice of plate with hole drilled in it to get diffrent effects?

i opted to re-drill my main leaf about 2 inches back. reallocated by bump stops back with 1x2 rectangle tubing. I'm still using the stock location for my upper shock mounts. I just relocated them on the axle. stuffs good with 36's and cut and fold rear quarters, and i'm running 1" cast steel blocks

Last edited:
xj9140 said:
by the way nice job on the shock mount, or those 38's your running?

I run 42" Swamper TSL's.

And there is no reason why the shocks wont work just because mount is turned 90 degrees from the other. I mean im no physicist but i do have a friend that is a rocket scientist so maybe i should ask him about shock positioning.... :laugh3:

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
And there is no reason why the shocks wont work just because mount is turned 90 degrees from the other. I mean im no physicist but i do have a friend that is a rocket scientist so maybe i should ask him about shock positioning.... :laugh3:

if your shock mounts aren't parallel to each other/facing front the front and back of the vehicle, they aren't going to be able to move correctly through the suspension cycle, and you are going to put a LOT of stress on your shock bushings, or your mounting tabs, and probably break them, or just bind up the suspension until you don't have any flex.

anyway, it sounds like you know what you are doing... post up some pictures flexed when you are done...

try taking some peoples advice. we are being critical, but trying to help

im not the smartest person in the world but far from the dumbest. I understand your point on the stress and all, but i just dont see that much of an issue in it. Im taking your replies into consideration and not knocking any of you for tryin to help me.

I will post up a flex pic once i get my shackle relocation brackets put on that i bought from a guy on here that is currently making them. Im sure you all have read and seen his posts. Seems to be a good product! But i dont expect mad flex out of my set up because that's not what im goin for. I just ride trails, woods and mud and stuff...

ok, i might be full of it, my dodge has the mounting bolts side to side, but tops and bottoms bolted in the same direction, and perpendicular to the angle of the shock. the jeeps shocks go inboard with bolts front and back, the dodge has shocks going front to back, bolts side to side.

Last edited:
tomcat said:
ok, i might be full of it, my dodge has the mounting bolts side to side, but tops and bottoms bolted in the same direction, and perpendicular to the angle of the shock. the jeeps shocks go inboard with bolts front and back, the dodge has shocks going front to back, bolts side to side.

:huh:

I think you are saying the same thing. Just your dodge... fuck i dont know. Im lost...

Back