• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tips for off-road light install?

01din

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be installing 2 off-road (Hella) lights on the front bumper of the '99 4.0 XJ this afternoon - any tips?

David

Do not forget the relay. I wire all my stuff like this.
relay2.jpg

measure twice and drill once...:)
see if VA requires covers to be left on those lights too, being that they are "off road" designated.

like stated above, do not wire it without a relay! that is all I can add, oh yeah, did I mention use a relay? :D

Power Wires- Bigger the better.
Should also fuse the wire between the power source and the relay.

Also note:

Bad idea to let kids play in your jeep and leave your hellas on. Anyone got some spare covers they want to sell? :eyes:

I mounted my Hella 700FF on top of the bumper of my '00 XJ. Make sure "TOP" on the lense is UP. I also installed 100 watt bulbs, so far no melting!! Like many have said, USE A RELAY!!.

I interconnected mine to the high beam circuit so the Hellas only come on when my high beams are on. My XJ is not an offroad vehicle, but I drive on lots of back, rural, 55 mph roads, without street lights, lots of deer & moose, oh my!!!

If your using the Hella green on-off switch it is way too brite and will blind you. I mounted my Hella switch on the center console, above the emerg. brake handle and below the cover's latch. It's facing forward and is easy to reach, since my right arm is often resting on the console.

Fran

Like everyone else said... use a relay.

I've got 4 Hella Rallye 4000's collecting dust that are just dying to go on the front of my XJ if I can find a way to make em fit without blocking the whole radiator.

MisterFubar said:
Like everyone else said... use a relay.

I've got 4 Hella Rallye 4000's collecting dust that are just dying to go on the front of my XJ if I can find a way to make em fit without blocking the whole radiator.

1002371og1.jpg

Think they'll be overkill?

Almost there!

Trying to finish it up this evening, and we've run into one last issue: in attempting to wire the switch, is there a headlight wire under the steering column that we can connect to? Or do we have to go through the firewall - and then which wire would it be near the lights?

Thanks guys

dedmete said:
Forgive my electrical ignorance, but what's a relay do and why is it so important in this case?

Well. You can keep the hot wires short for a better performance and the high current is switched by the relay and not in the cabin by a tiny switch ,that will melt. Don't underastimate the high current that is needed for 2 roadlights.
:flamemad:

Back