• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear cut n tuck

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
got bored today and figured i'd post up my rear fender cut-n-tuck. next is the rear quarter panel due to a little rust spot that i found on my 98 were there isnt any snow :/ . wierd P.O. must not know how the clean it. figured i'd post up some pics and see what ya'll think about it.
07-01-08_1943.jpg

07-01-08_1954.jpg

07-01-08_2004.jpg

i am when i do the rear quarter. thats what happens when you dont invest in a camera and use the cell phone

looks pretty good...did you have any problem with paint chipping? can you cut directly on the pinch welds without any ill effects? and with you needing to go back and caulk the seam, what exactly is that? between the metal and the fenderwell?

I just did that mod last week as well. What I did was get some heavy duty silicone sealant and ran a bead inside the fenderwell before I folded the metal back. Hopefully it sealed up pretty well. I used a mini sledge to do the folding, so I definitely got a lot of paint chipping off. Mcraindog, don't cut through the pinch welds, make sure you cut on either side of them. Since I went wheeling the next day, it got muddy and has slight surface rust on it now. Within the next week or so, I'm going to sand down the lip and inside where the metal is folded and paint it with duplicolor bedliner, plus probably some undercoating inside the wheelwell.

n5719488_39497514_9503.jpg

i'd love to see more pictures from folks who have done this.
the perpendicular cuts, and then folding... why not just zap it off rather than fold it over?

yes the paint chipped. like crazy. even found some bondo in there and a crack. but i'm going to do the rear quarter then seal it up. supposed to look good for a few days. i'm hoping to be able to get 35s in there. but dont know anyone around that has and that would let me mount it up. i thru some tape on it and covered the lip and the inside with some $7 spray on bed liner. got some liquid nails to do the sealing. hope that works good.

i did this and cut my lines too high so now on the corners i couldnt fold it up and you can still see the slit..im just buying a welder so i can comp the whole rear and weld in new fender wells..

i didnt want to weld. my welding skills are @$$. but i might weld up the quarters with some liquid nails.

i built a front bumper. currently on my jeep. i'm learning as i go. going to do some rocker guards next and a rear bumper

i'd love to see more pictures from folks who have done this.
the perpendicular cuts, and then folding... why not just zap it off rather than fold it over?

If you cut off above the spot welds, you will not have anything holding the inner-fender and outer-fender together. If you can weld, then you cut it all off and weld a new seam, but for most guys it is easiest to make relief cuts and then fold the lip back. This maintains the the fenders integrity.

If anyone knows where a write up is, I am looking for some guidance on cutting and tucking my rear quarter panel up underneath (behind the the wheel). I don't want to guess my way through.

The cut and fold of the rear quarters won't mess with structural integrity, however when you're folding the well if you cut to far or much you can damage the factory pinch seam. When I did it I just made sure not to cut through any of the factory spot welds and when I folded the quarters I ran rivets all the way around it to secure it tightly.

Back