• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whos running 35s on 4.10 gears in a MANUAL???

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
if so... how do they run? i dont wanna run 4.56s cuz i thikn ill lose the usefullness of my 1st gear.... keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who doesnt mind running 32" tires on 3.07 gears in a 5 speed cherokee :)

Basically, i want you to say yes to 4.10s (honestly, of course) because if i do that i can just buy a ford 8.8 with 4.10s and call it a day :)

You won't like it. I have 33's with 4.10s and I will be putting 4.56's in soon. I used to DD this thing and it was ok. But heading up the mountains it sucks. Seriously I would say 4.88's, or 4.56's at the least.

Justin

Run it. I got 33's on right now but running 35's when I can get a decent set. I have my testers, which are bald but ran those and loved it. Got the 4wd just hooked up so have yet to test with 4wd but will here in the next week or so, But 4.10's with 35's are best for highway driving than city driven as far a fuel goes. 33's and 4.10 are best for overall performance. But like I said they ran good on mine. I built mine to run 4.10's and 35's, based off the 8.8 in the rear.

X2 what was said above, didn't think about it being I live in the flats. If you live in the Mts. then I would run 4.88 or something like that.

My 34's with 3.07 gears was tolerable performance wise(for me)but fuel economy suffers too much....I always wondered how 34's with 4.10's would be......

If you're really gonna wheel, you'll appreciate the torque of the 4.56s. Actually 4.88s are even better you're planning on running 35s (yes$$$). If you're worried about 1st being too low, you could simply start off from a stop sign in 2nd gear... I had a buddy with an old 80's chevy that had a granny 1st that he never used on the street; he'd just start in "2nd" which was basically like most guys' 1st. If you like numbers over feelings for proof (5-speed XJ's have 3.07 gears on 27" tires stock):

Remeber the easy conversion to compare to the stock gearing:

Manual: ( 3.07 / 27" ) x ( X / 35" ) X = 3.97 So you'd be better off than stock w/ 4.10s... just barely.

Auto Gears: ( 3.55 / 27" ) x ( X /35" ) X = 4.6 But the auto guys running stock tires would have a better crawling ratio than you would with 4.10s and 35s!!!

But if it's you're DD and not much of a wheeler, then who cares? 4.10s and 35's in a 5-speed is actually a slightly more aggressive over-all gear ratio than stock, but if you're going to switch gears don't you want something that's much better than stock?

p.s. There is a common misconception that one size difference in gears is a big difference on the street. It's not! You have to jump at least two sizes before a real noticeable difference is felt. Also, bigger gears actually gets better city mileage than smaller gears simply because it takes less effort to get moving from a stop. The tall gears only get better mileage once you've gotten up to speed (the slower the acceleration the better) and can cruise at 65mph for miles and miles.

Last edited:
I am currently running 4.10's and 35's. I don't like the loss of power. The 4.10's were o.k. with 33's but, next week I am stepping up to 4.88's.

well im thiking since im used to the gears i have, ill just stick with them. for it to be back to stock i would need 3.97 (yes i can do a flippin proportion), now i know that theres extra weight to be pulled around, but i think ill do 4.10s. I just cant see having that much gear. My friend has a YJ on 37s and idk wat gears but his 1st is a granny gear. I cant even use 5th on the highway, or even around town unless im doing 45mph+ and/or on flat ground.

For example, lets assume you give a single numerical value to each tire/gear setup (tire size divided by gear), right now my integer is 10.42, that is 32" tires and 3.07 gears, this is livable for me. The integer assigned to 35s with 4.10s would be 8.53, only .27 units away from the stock setup (27" tires on 3.07s) of 8.80..... I guess what im saying is that is enough gear reduction for me to save a whole re-gearing process....

It will be a lot better than where you are right now. If your happy with that, then do it. I have 410 and 35s now. I think that is the best set up for mileage. That said, I will be going to 456 very soon. I feel like I have to lug it taking off in first too much, or ride the clutch for a extra second or 2. I can hold 5th on the highway up mild hills though.

yea mileage is my main concern. Ive never had problems off roading in it as is. So i guess well see, as of right now i burn the clutch for like a second or 2 almost always to keep it right at 1000rpm on take off.

emr1101 said:
For example, lets assume you give a single numerical value to each tire/gear setup (tire size divided by gear), right now my integer is 10.42, that is 32" tires and 3.07 gears, this is livable for me. The integer assigned to 35s with 4.10s would be 8.53, only .27 units away from the stock setup (27" tires on 3.07s) of 8.80..... I guess what im saying is that is enough gear reduction for me to save a whole re-gearing process....

Then calculate the increased weight of 35's, the drag from the extra width, and drag from the increased height of the vehicle.
Couple that with the fact that as your engine ages, it will not magically make more power than originally built.
Then throw your previous calculation out the window and go 4.56. Trust those who have done this, first gear is not useless with 4.56 gearing and 35's - it's barely adequate.

jesus there is a lot of bad info on gearing in mod_tech these days.

Ronbo pretty much nailed it. Gear as low as you can, you aren't going to suffer for MPG. The 4.0 LOVES to spin fast, it HATES to work hard all the time.

35's will want 4.88 or if you can manage it 5.13's. Its totally ok to spin 3300 RPM's on the highway, but 4.10's and 35's would be like towing a bass boat behind you all day every day - your jeep (and your gas card) will suffer.

good thread. glad someone is making the distinction between what gears feel good between the aw4 and ax15. i've been wondering the same thing. i could go do the math, but then just like what was already said, add in the weight, added drag, etc... seems to be go as low as you can. i know that 4.56 and 33's works well, but is that with the aw4 or ax15? it's not like i'm buying the gears tomorrow, but i'm thinking that's what i want to go with my ax15.

I know "manual" is in the title, but i have a auto and im currently running 33s wanting to up it to 35s, and i've been trying to figure out which gears to get. before i found this i was debating 410s and 456s, but now i realize 410s shouldnt have even been a consideration...now the question is 456s or 488s?

For now i know that 456s would be perfect, but when i get 35s (probably about a year from now) will the 488s really be necessary, considering the fact that 456s would be undergearing compared to stock.

wjfrench said:
I know "manual" is in the title, but i have a auto and im currently running 33s wanting to up it to 35s, and i've been trying to figure out which gears to get. before i found this i was debating 410s and 456s, but now i realize 410s shouldnt have even been a consideration...now the question is 456s or 488s?

For now i know that 456s would be perfect, but when i get 35s (probably about a year from now) will the 488s really be necessary, considering the fact that 456s would be undergearing compared to stock.

4.88 would be my choice but better yet why not some 5.13

my 87 was a 5 speed with the 4:11 on 35 that sucked..now i have a 2001 aw4 with 4:88 on 35 .i rev at 1900 rpm doing around 50 mph..i really like the 4:88

kahaikapu said:
my 87 was a 5 speed with the 4:11 on 35 that sucked..now i have a 2001 aw4 with 4:88 on 35 .i rev at 1900 rpm doing around 50 mph..i really like the 4:88

I forgot that was the speed limit over there...

Justin

I ran that exact set up in my 93--- 4.0, ax 15, 4.10 gears, 35" tires. Worked fine for me. Had lots of go power... I now run 42" swampers on the same rig but with a 350/350 turbo combo. but i did get the chance to run a set of 39.5" tires on it when i still had the 4.0 in there and it was slow on the highway and lacked power to pull up even the slightest hill and would start running warm. But thats kinda expected i mean i wasnt doin things the right way, ya know??

Go 4.88s

Ive run
235/75/15s with 3.07 stockish
32s with 3.07 kinda sucked but was bearable
32s with 4.10 Good range
33s with 4.10 didn't like it
33s with 3.55 kinda sucked but was bearable
33s with 4.88 Current could not pay be to go lower

this is all with an AX15
I get better gas milage with the 4.88s and 33s than I did with anything besides stock and 32/4.10 combo. If I were to go to 35s, (its in the plans) I would not do it until going to 5.13s.

Back