• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt squeal

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've owned this 2000 Cherokee Classic now for about 2 months. I have a receipt from the PO which shows that the serpentine belt had been replaced about a month before I purchased the vehicle. The belt does appear to be new, do damage, cracking or glazing.

Problem is that occasionally on startup I get massive belt squeal. Obviously, the noise is typically exaccerbated by turning the wheels while parked or placing electrical load on the system. Once the squeal goes away, it usually doesn't return until possibly the next startup. Sometimes I get the squeal a few times a day, but then again sometimes I don't get it at all for a few days.

So, I looked through the FSM and it states that only the 2.5L can be manually tensioned???? Is this true?
Can anybody confirm this, or if its not true possibly point me to the right place to look to adjust the tension of the serpentine belt?

i replaced the belt on my 2000 and got some squeal until i got it tight enough. i had to tighten it much more than i have any other belt i've replaced but it finally stopped. it does have an adjustable tensioner.

should be by the power steering pump, look for a bolt that runs parallel to serp belt. First lossen the power steering pulley, then rotate long parallel bolt to loosen or tighten belt as needed. then retighten power steering pully...... least thats how it works on my 99 XJ Sport 4.0L .... Just my 0.02.....

Austin

EDIT: Mine did that when i first bougt it.... Would turn on electrical load and/or A/C and it would squeal.... Turns out it was bad alternator bearings......

Another item to look at is the Coolant hose that goes to block right on front of 4.0L.. I've noticed on mine and others that the hose likes to drip a couple times when warming up and/or cooling down (especially on mine during the winter) which find their way to the belt. This may cause the belt to squeal for several momments...

Austin

just keeping tightening it a little at a time until it doesn't squeal anymore and you should be good to go, unless there's some other problem besides the belt

My son put a new napa belt on his 95 & had a squeal that even with belt dressing wouldn't stay cured, we replaced the idler pulley, bought a belt gauge, we fought it for 2 days , we cleaned all the pulleys, lubed everything we could, nothing worked! we returned the napa brand belt & bought a $30 Gator belt & it cured it. Go figure. I have never experienced this kind a problem with a new belt before but the more exspensive belt fixed it.

On the 4.0 xj's I've owned I've had to always tighten the crap out of the belt to get it to shut up. I think it's just a 4.0 thing.. the tensioner is right under the P/S pump, it's pretty easy to adjust. All you need is a 15mm socket. Righty tighty-lefty loosey. :)

I just tensioned the belt on my 99 4.0 xj last night. The way I did this is as follows... (there may be an easier way). My Haynes manual was wrong and your Jeep may be different. Look before you leap!

1. Remove the mechanical fan shroud. (to ease electric fan removal) Just take the two small bolts off at the top and wiggle it out.

2. Remove the electric fan. Unplug the electrical connector. Take the two small bolts out at the top and pull up on the fan. You will know when you have the stupid clips on the bottom loose. Then slide it toward the passenger side and wiggle it out. Be careful here the electric fan is hella expensive!!

3. Right under the P/S pump is an idler pulley. If you look you can see the slot that allow this pulley to slide. Loosen this pulley but do not remove.

4. If you look right beside the P/S pump you will see a bolt head that is angled. If you look behind the P/S pump you will see this bolt is 3-4" long and the little mount that the ider pulley is mounted to. This is your belt tensioner.

5. Tension the belt with a tensioner tool or tension it a little bit and see if it squeals, if it does repeat. Don't forget to tighten the idler pulley back up!!!

:peace:

When I first got my '99 I had Sears put on a new belt before I drove it to CO, it did fine the whole time, but a few months after it started squeeling real bad. In the end Sears had put the wrong belt on. Took the new bill to Sears and they paid for it all.

Wow guys thanks for all the tips. I found the tensioner near the p/s pump and have dramatically improved the belt squeal. I still get a tiny chirp here or there, but its MUCH MUCH improved.

Thanks again for the tips!

Back