• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Brake pads and rotors

sublime600

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

Are the front brake pads and rotors on a 2001 4wd Cherokee the same as all previous years or were they changed? Also are the grand cherokees rotors and pads the same or the Wrangler

I think they changed the front brakes between 1996 and 1997. I bought a set of calipers and pads for my 97 and they were for a 1996 & earlier. They didn't fit. I still have them, gotta buy a 1996 or earlier XJ to put them on now....

Mark

Goto someplace like rockauto . com and check part numbers and years.
You'll get all your answers. Biggest problem is the depth of the rotor 'hat'.
Measure your old one to make sure they give you the right ones. (Regardless of what the box or the computer says).......

Lived that dream last weekend. PartsAmerica.com swapped the temporarily unavailable rotor I ordered for my 2000 with "comparable" rotors. Torqued everything down and the front tires were completely locked. The new rotors were about 1/16" deeper than the stock version. Now I have to pay to ship back the wrong parts. Won't be ordering from there again...

When you replace your rotor, bring the old one to check hat depth.

The only problem with that post is that someone indicates that the difference is cast or composite rotors. That is not true. You WILL eventually find that cast and composite both come in both 3 1/16 and 3 3/16 sizes.

Bottom line=Measure the old ones and bring a tape measure.

Look at the pictures, measure the existing parts, and note the model years involved and you will get the correct parts.

These two lines are from the cast vs. composite thread in the link - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907146 .

Tim_MN said:
Lay the rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor.

Parts store replacement rotors may have a different appearance but should measure about the same.

Back