• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy here looking for an opinion

Jeeperrick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys/gals of NAXJA. I've owned Jeeps for about 20 years and sold my last CJ-7 two years ago to help finance a business venture.

I came across an XJ, it's a 1989 with a 4.0, auto and about 200,000 on the clock.

The body is very solid, it's a 2 door Laredo and about 98% rust free and it has the following

Warn winch (9500TSI used once)
Warn bumper (front)
Rubicon express 6.5" lift
rear 8.8 with disc brakes and Detroit Locker
Front 30 with alloy shafts and lock rite
This rig was put together for light family trail riding about 4 years ago, and maybe has 10 trips on it. The engine and tranny where also rebuilt within the last 10,000 miles.

The interior is very clean, missing the head liner, but the seats, dash, air, tilt, cruise, etc, all work.

Also has stock rims, tires, currently has 35" BFG's on a 17" rim.

I'm looking at around $4,000 take or give? To much for the age? Or a fairly ok deal considering above average condition and the mods that are on it. Any thoughts on the Renix 4.0? Thanks for the help!

welcome.

sounds like quite the rig for the pirce...

the renix engine is nothing to be afraid of, just takes a different approach to diagnosis...

Get it quick before someone else does!

Jeeperrick said:
Hey guys/gals of NAXJA. I've owned Jeeps for about 20 years and sold my last CJ-7 two years ago to help finance a business venture.

I came across an XJ, it's a 1989 with a 4.0, auto and about 200,000 on the clock.

The body is very solid, it's a 2 door Laredo and about 98% rust free and it has the following

Warn winch (9500TSI used once)
Warn bumper (front)
Rubicon express 6.5" lift
rear 8.8 with disc brakes and Detroit Locker
Front 30 with alloy shafts and lock rite
This rig was put together for light family trail riding about 4 years ago, and maybe has 10 trips on it. The engine and tranny where also rebuilt within the last 10,000 miles.

The interior is very clean, missing the head liner, but the seats, dash, air, tilt, cruise, etc, all work.

Also has stock rims, tires, currently has 35" BFG's on a 17" rim.

I'm looking at around $4,000 take or give? To much for the age? Or a fairly ok deal considering above average condition and the mods that are on it. Any thoughts on the Renix 4.0? Thanks for the help!

Of course normally 4K for an 89 would be way to much.
But if:
You can verify with reciepts that the engine and tranny were really rebuilt and
The lift included an SYE and CV driveshaft, new adjustable trackbar and
The axles were re-geared appropriately for 35" tires (4.56 or lower) and
The unibody is not cracked or cracking anywhere
Then I would say it's a good deal. The RE 5.5 lift, winch, bumper, and 8.8 axle would probably cost close to 3k. Yeah, if it was done right, it's worth it. IMHO.

Sierra Drifter said:
Of course normally 4K for an 89 would be way to much.
But if:
You can verify with reciepts that the engine and tranny were really rebuilt and
The lift included an SYE and CV driveshaft, new adjustable trackbar and
The axles were re-geared appropriately for 35" tires (4.56 or lower) and
The unibody is not cracked or cracking anywhere
Then I would say it's a good deal. The RE 5.5 lift, winch, bumper, and 8.8 axle would probably cost close to 3k. Yeah, if it was done right, it's worth it. IMHO.
x2,plus look extremely hard for rust,its a unibody!

I've decided to go for it. I cheated a little on the pics, hopefully nobody minds. I'll have to get a photbucket account or something similiar. I took these in the parking lot where the guy had it sitting for sale. The only thing I'm not to crazy about is the tires. They are cut for off-road racing, I'll probably look into a Cooper STT /Goodyear MT/R or the like. She's on 35's, I'm thinking the 35" is just a little to big, but maybe not. I'll try it as is and see how the ole girl does. Most of my use is going to be light to moderate wheeling and I plan to drive this one to and from the trail so some highway will be involved.

Image Insert:[br]
20080702072439_Jeepxj.jpg
[br] 154.55 KB[/size=1]

20080702072500_jeepxj2.jpg
[br] 154.98 KB[/size=1]

20080702072522_jeepxj3.jpg
[br] 129.25 KB[/size=1]

Last edited:
Put some rock rails on it and you're good to go.

BTW, what is the axle gear ratio?

Congratulations, looks like ya mighta got a pretty good deal.
Tires..............
Go Cooper.

GO GREENBAY!!!!!
Wish Bret was still playing.
sad.gif

Well...the opinions don't matter anymore. I handed him a envelope full of cash and he handed me the title. Also have a extra set of 35's (new). The aftermarket parts including the gears, lockers, suspension, CV driveshaft, etc. all have less than 500 miles on them is what we figured out tonight. So..if anyone is in the Green Bay area and is interested in running the Pipeline, McCaslins, etc. Let me know..I'll bring the winch!!

Back