• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to clean old injectors

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
They havent been used in I dont know how long, but I need them and I figured I should probly clean them out. I was planning on getting new o rings and stuff, but how should I clean out the insides to make sure they work properly? Thanks

Replace them.....

Thats how I get them clean!!

You can try running a tank full of premium gas with a can of injector cleaner (Lucas fuel additive works well), and see if that helps. Other wise replacement may be the only option....

If they are off the engine, professional cleaning runs about $25 per injector. You may find someone local to you that does this.

For $150 to get them cleaned , I'd replace them as PB suggests. If they work at all, a little run time with some injector cleaner in the tank will probably do just as well.

I bought a set off a Mustang on eBay for about $50 for a set of 8.

I was going to get a set cleaned but the guy at the shop said that his machine was currently broken and wouldn't be fixed for a couple of weeks. Then he told me that you can clean them very easily yourself by using oven cleaner. He said to fill them with oven cleaner and use a 12 volt source to cycle the injector until the cleaner flows through easily. Worked great.

i just pulled my injectors the other night and soaked them in sea foam overnight then put them back in. maybe not as good as new injectors but i did get 2-3 more mpg from that alone so they must have been pretty bad.

Hey Sean, I bought a set of 8 LT1 injectors that had their filter baskets replaced and pressure tested for $66 shipped($55 shipped was the cheapest in the completed list from the same guy). They are running rich at idle--try turning down the map adjuster if you have one(get one or a piggy back), but are awesome throughout the rpms(esp the 2-3K, where the stock 23.2# sucked). The lt1s will flow ~26# on our 49psi rail, whereas the FMS will flow ~27#(too much for us, but probably a better match for the obd1s with the 39psi rail).

Back