• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from a 32" Swamper to...

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
... what? That is the question. I am looking to go to a BFG Mud or Kumho Venture MT. My problem is actual tire size. My swamper TSLs fit well, could have handled a little taller tire. 4.5-5" of lift. But if I went with a 32" or 33" BFG for example, isn't that going to turn out the same size or smaller than the swampers? Or should I look into a 35, does anyone know the true measurement on a 35" BFG?

For comparison, here is my 32 next to a worn 33...
P1020017.jpg

How they fit on the XJ:
P1010996.jpg

This may be more of an opinion question than anything else, but Im open to ideas. Just can't decide :dunno:

You're comparing an unmounted tire to a mounted inflated tire, not really a true comparison. You can find actual sizes on most websites for a particular tire.

BFG Lists the 33" MT as 32.8" tall. Interco claims 32.1" tall for the TSL.

I guess my main concern is should I believe the BFG #, Ive heard they measure short of what they say. Hate to get a set of tires in that turn out smaller than I think.

the 33 still looks taller than the 32.
I personally wouldn't go much taller than the 32 or 33... but it looks like you have narrow 32's on there too. do you want wider also?

if they measure short of their claimed height then give them back :)

Slightly bigger, I agree. Which is why I don't want to go with say a 32", which is smaller than a 32" swamper. Then the difference would be bigger. And once they are mounted, pretty sure I would be SOL.

I wanted to go with a 33x10.50 BFG, only option for a 10.50 other than a swamper. But it looks like that might be more expensive than a 12.5? And it comes from the factory with 19/32 tread instead of 21/32 on the 12.5

Difference between the 12.5 and the 10.5. Assuming it might bulge out slightly more if the 33 was mounted.

P1020016.jpg

Then the next concern is weight, couldn't find that on the BFG site.

And if I go with 12.50s I might as well go with Kumho Venture MTs the older ones, for the price and near same tread pattern. Or is the BFG a better tire?

Decisions, decisions.

That TSL radial looks like it has plenty of tread left and they already fit, no?

Why are you even contemplating this? The TSL radial is a superior tire to the BFG in pretty much every way.

Superior except for treadlife, road manners, noise, etc. Most of my wheeling is back dirt roads, where I drive 80% tar or hardpacked dirt roads. The swampers are overkill, so Im selling them to pick up something better for my habits.

Anyone happen to know the weight difference between a 10.5 and a 12.5 33" BFG Mud?

98XJSport said:
BFG Lists the 33" MT as 32.8" tall. Interco claims 32.1" tall for the TSL.

I guess my main concern is should I believe the BFG #, Ive heard they measure short of what they say. Hate to get a set of tires in that turn out smaller than I think.

They do measure short, for example, a 33" BFG is actually 32.8 or so. It doesn't actually measure short of what they list as actual height (32.8"). If you look on their website, or go to tirerack.com and go to the specs of the BFG it will show the actual height, what width rim it was measured on, and so on.... GL:viking:

I have to say look into the Kumho. I have the 32" and they are awesome. Several guys in my local club are running them.
100_3690.jpg

Back