• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5 superflex question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I bought a XJ that had been lifted and never wheeled(the guy couldn't get the vibs out of it). I have turned it into a trail rig and fixed all of the issues but for some reason the Jeep leans to the passenger side both front and rear. It is about 1-1/4" lower on the pass front than it is on the drivers side. The rear is leaning because of the front I feel sure. I have looked over the install instructions on RE's web site and I do not see anything about the front springs being side specific like the OME coils are.

My question is; Are the RE 4.5 front coils side specific? Is it possible the guy switched the coils from one side to the other?

Thanks
Jon

How long has the lift been on? Most likely, the lean is due to the torque from the engine. If you sit at a stop and take off under hard acceleration, you'll notice the front right side of the engine dip to that side. The longer that lift has been on, the more settled that coil may be, causing it to lean.

Another thought you might want to check out...my jeep leans to the driver side in the rear, because I have a *very* slight bend in the leaf spring on the driver's side. Maybe you have something like that on the passenger side.

Kenny

RE springs are not side specific.

NCCherokee said:
How long has the lift been on? Most likely, the lean is due to the torque from the engine. If you sit at a stop and take off under hard acceleration, you'll notice the front right side of the engine dip to that side. The longer that lift has been on, the more settled that coil may be, causing it to lean.

Another thought you might want to check out...my jeep leans to the driver side in the rear, because I have a *very* slight bend in the leaf spring on the driver's side. Maybe you have something like that on the passenger side.

Kenny

Less than 5k, the rear springs look good, arched, no bends in them.

its because its probably been flexed and was never bumpstopped correctly, thats my problem. I have the so called gangster lean.

98RExj said:
its because its probably been flexed and was never bumpstopped correctly, thats my problem. I have the so called gangster lean.

It has 4 hockey pucks on each side front, it may have been flexed before it was bumpstopped but I don't know who would remove the springs again to drill and tap the BS plate for the bolt to hold the hockey pucks but I've seen crazier things. I have some homemade DPG style adjustable BS on the rear as well.

Find a really flat spot to park and then loosen all your control arm bolts and all your leaf spring bolts.You can drive it around the block or bounce up/down on it several times.Then re-torque all the hardware!

NCCherokee said:

Kenny

yea mine leans too.. always wondered why, always thought it was pavement. you could get ACOSs...

emr1101 said:
yea mine leans too.. always wondered why, always thought it was pavement. you could get ACOSs...

I have a set of ACOS but they give me too much minimum lift on short arms. The least amount of lift with ACOS is 1.25" and with 4.5 coils all of my geometry was fubar, so I took them out.

Good idea if I had the 3.5 coils though.

winkosmosis said:
4 hockey pucks????

Yep but not any more, just 2 now. The front only had 2" up travel on each side, I like a little more and the fenders are cut so there is plenty of stuff room for 32's.

RCP Phx said:
Find a really flat spot to park and then loosen all your control arm bolts and all your leaf spring bolts.You can drive it around the block or bounce up/down on it several times.Then re-torque all the hardware!

I'd try this.....sounds like something is bound up in the suspension if it's only been installed for 5K

NCCherokee said:

Kenny

:huh:

You really think the insane ~250 lb/ft of torque from the I6 is going to screw up the suspension?? If that was the case, my mustang making 380 lb/ft should be bending the chassis by now lol.

sunburned said:
:huh:

You really think the insane ~250 lb/ft of torque from the I6 is going to screw up the suspension?? If that was the case, my mustang making 380 lb/ft should be bending the chassis by now lol.

It's possible. Though I would think that you'd have to have the suspension on a LOT longer than 5K to even notice the torque lean. You see this more often on TJ's and ZJ's than XJ's.

98RExj said:

REALLY??? :huh:

So you are telling me you flexed one side more than the other (without bump stops) and you could figure that out??????

Back