• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This WOBBLE is killing me!!

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been chasing a wobble for about a month know. I dont think it is Death Wobble. Here is what I have: I feel this is almost Rotational, kinda like a lopsided egg.
I can get the Jeep up to 52 mph (gps)and it rolls out perfect then I can literally feel it come on from 53 on. The faster i go the worse it gets almost like side to side rolling on 2 eggs in the front.
I have tried: 3 sets of wheel/tire combo, new RK trac bar with HD frame side mount, new steering stablizer, new shocks in front, I checked the unit bearings and they are tight and seem good, the axle u joints are tight, the steering box is tight no slope no movement, last night I crawled under the front and tighten every bolt I could get a wrench on, I've disconnected both drive shafts (1 at a time of course).
Last night I also did a GOJeep front end alignment including setting caster at about 2deg.
One thing I find strange is, last September I drove this Jeep to Indy on the Highway to go to the Jamboree Nationals. This is about a 45 minute drive and I had no problem running 70 miles an hour. Two weekends later I trailered it to Redbird and blew a hole in a sidewall of my front left tire when I hit a large tree route while climbing a hill and from that point I have had a problem with it.
Help please, I am at my end here, Thanx Cardboard

By the way this is on a 91 4.0 auto 30 front 8.25 rear. Locked front and rear 4.56 gears 34 x 10.50 LTBS

Last edited:
Thanx for the responses so far. Copper204 my ujoints in the axle are tight.
Mini Beast I have roughly 5" RK longarm lift with stock steering.
I am going to go and try putting the front on jack stands and just spin the wheels to see if they show to be true.
Cardboard

I set caster at 4.5-5.0 and make sure that your toe is really correct. set it at 0 to 1/16 toe in, but if you are not doing it on a real alignment machine you are never going to get to caster swing.

Have you opened the diffs or pulled the shafts? I know you said you checked the unit bearings but did you pull the shafts out?

Have you consider your steering is shot. I have the RK kit on mine and 6.5" lift and had to run the stock steering untill I made my nes setup and I had DW with it. Which I knew I would. And it is gone now that I put on my new steering. Check out my build up on it...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=942522

Well time for an update. I still have DW!! Yesterday I removed and replaced both Unit bearings. Why'll I was in there I did Axle ujoints also. I guess about the only thing left is to replace the steering. I just have to figure out which style to go with. I am looking at the ZJ from Gerr offroad, the cross over from Rugged ridge and custom with tube and heim joints.
Thanx cardboard

I would have did the steering before bearings. I here the ZJ is a nice up grade that has good results, rugged ridge is a good setup to for the buck but on major back order which I was considering until that, but made up my own for about $200. I love it and she works great. I'm not a fan of the inverted setup like stock so a upgrade was a must, this being why I chose my setup vs, the ZJ upgrade. But at 4.5" the ZJ could be a good setup for you and bolt on and gerr has a good price on them to your door.

Have you checked to make sure the axles aren't bent? Check the inner C's on the D30 also. Does it seem to be transmitting through the steering wheel, or the vehicle?

I have the same problem when I go over 45mph. I have a 3" lift. The jeep rode straight and true until I put 31" tires on it then it all went to hell. I have replaced my track bar but that didnt help. I have taken everthing apart twice and replaced and fixed what needed to be fixed but nothing seems to help. I am thinking about just taking the lift out and trimming the fenders to see if that takes care of it.

Get under the front end while someone wriggles the steering wheel back and forth. Look for anything that is not 100% tight. I have cured my DW's many times using this method.

Back