• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regearing shop quote question

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a quote from one of the only shops in town that has a good reputation for regearing axles.

They quoted me 11-13hrs of shop time for both axles which ends up being 770-910 bucks in labor alone.

Is this a ridiculous quote or accurate and what I should expect to pay for this service?

Thats probably pretty close to fair for a shop, they have some overhead and must be able to warranty their work if the need should arise. But any of the guys on this board that do them will be much cheaper.

tcm glx said:
WOW!!!! crazy, pm Clean-rc
Yeah I will PM him, but I'm 2.5hrs north of LA so whatever quote I get I have to factor in gas etc for the trip.

At the quote you just got, I guarantee it will still be cheaper...hahhaa, I know where ridgecrest is....you are pretty far up there....But plan a weekend or something out of it....

I just had my dana 30 done up with 4.56s and an aussie, Hoopers rear end quoted 500 on the phone said would through in my aussie locker too. Got done bill was 625 lol. that was for gears labor bearings and a new carrier to run the 4.56s

wow thats expensive.... Hoopers here in the san fernando valley charges $250.00 an axle for labor.. their the only ones i trust to do my and my customers trucks...

What kind of axles?
In or out of the vehicle?
:)
I can do gears.

Stealth said:
wow thats expensive.... Hoopers here in the san fernando valley charges $250.00 an axle for labor.. their the only ones i trust to do my and my customers trucks...

That sounds closer to fair to me. Jesus, my jeep isn't even worth a grand!:laugh2::laugh2:

A guy in our club does all the gear work for 4 Wheel Parts, and he does gear work on the side, $200 to $300 per axle.

Blazair said:
What kind of axles?
In or out of the vehicle?
:)
I can do gears.

In the vehicle.
2000 Cherokee
Dana 30
Corp 8.25

I charge $250 for gears and an extra $50 for a lunchbox locker, more for a selectable, labor only. The price they quoted you is not way out of range for a regular shop. They got much more overhead than a guy like me.

$250 sounds about right. I have no experience with the 8.25 ......yet

Last edited:
Well I believe you get what you pay for.. Why pay some one twice to set up gears that could have been done right the first time.. Not just poor set up but also crappy parts.. I am not trying to brag, but I had 15yrs dealer heavy line experience doing gears, trans, and engines all day long.. Most shops around here are still getting upwards of $500.00 an axle to regear.. That is why most people here think I am too expensive..

Really not a awful price to do both axles. I have seen worst quotes on labor. You do get what you pay for in most instances but there are more than a couple qualified folks on naxja to do the job and save you some cash at the same time. PM me if you want to discuss parts and people Id trust

gerroffroad.com said:
Really not a awful price to do both axles. I have seen worst quotes on labor. You do get what you pay for in most instances but there are more than a couple qualified folks on naxja to do the job and save you some cash at the same time. PM me if you want to discuss parts and people Id trust

Gerr...thanks but we've actually discussed this before. Thanks again to jeeperjon and rc for their quotes. Both seem very reasonable, but end up costing about the same as going locally.

The local price seems to be "high average" for socal, but I've learned everything costs more up here in the high desert. I will probably just spend the cash and do the job after the parts arrive...

jeeperjohn said:
I charge $250 for gears and an extra $50 for a lunchbox locker, more for a selectable, labor only. The price they quoted you is not way out of range for a regular shop. They got much more overhead than a guy like me.

noob question here... whats a lunchbox locker

WraithKWK said:
noob question here... whats a lunchbox locker
a lunchbox locker goes inside the stock carrier and replaces the spider gears. a regular locker replaces the carrier

Back