• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need New Transmission

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
so i blew my transmission today. Instead of rebuilding it i was thinking it might just be best to buy a new one. The question is what transmission can i buy that will bolt up to my np2321 transfer case and current I6 but will also work when i drop in a new chevy 350?

If there is no possible way to do this can i use the Transmission from a V8 grand cherokee? i know that will work with my Np231 but will it bolt to my current I6? If i can go this route then i will just drop in a Grand cherokee v8 in the future. Please advise. I plan to put in a V8 in the near future and want to make sure whatever Transmission i use will be compatible with that mod.

The NV 3550 from a 00/01 cherokee will bolt up to your current engine/Xfr case. When you swap the motor, AA makes an adapter bell housing for the 3550.
On a side note, the NV3500 is the same transmission as the -3550, but has a non-removable bell housing. They were made with Chevy and Dodge bell housings. You might be able to find a -3500 cheaper then the adapter for the -3550

That sounds like a possibility. What about the new grand Cherokee V8? Are those running the NV 3550 also? Can this transmission handle a 350+ HP Chevy 350? Are there any 6 speed automatic transmissions that i can buy that might work with my current setup now and also allow me to upgrade to a Chevy 350 in the near future? Any input would be great.

The NV3550 is a Manual Tranny, sorry. However the AW4's are a great tranny, unfortunatley that is what you were running. I have not really seen too many complaints about them. Jeep/AMC/Crysler used them for a long time compared to the manuals in the jeeps. you can even put in an electronic shift set up if you really wan to select the gear you are driving in. Ok well good luck.

I dont have a problem with getting another AW4 but i plan to upgrade to a V8 within a year or so (Chevy 350 or grand cherokee V8) and i want to make sure that whatever tranny i get now will mate to that engine as well as be able to handle the additional power. I just dont think the AW4 can do that.

Back