• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving on a bad u joint... bad idea?

xj88superjeep

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has a bad u joint in the front drivers wheel. It is just a slight wobbly vibration that feels similar to an out of balanced tire. She is my DD, and I took out the front DS to get that rebuilt, but have not gotten that done yet, so she is full time rear wheel drive at the moment. I bought the new U Joint over the weekend, but haven't gotten the press yet, and have no time to do it in the near future. So, am I risking anything by driving on the bad u joint? Could it cause a catastrophe?

I's assuming that the cap is still in place but that the needle bearings are shot. If this is the case, the risk is that you can spit the cap and then distort the axle shaft ears. When this happens, you will need new shafts. Don't drive without the axle shaft, either, cuz the outer stub shafts holds the unit bearing together and the inner shaft seals the lube in the diff.

If one of the ujoint caps is aready missing, change it right away since are are causing damage.

You really don't need a press to change the ujoint. Just use a couple of sockets and a hammer. I've used a press before and it bent the ears. I've never bent them with the socket and hammer method.

Thanks guys, as far as I know there is no SEVERE damage like caps missing, I think I just tore it up wheeling it earlier this year. I don't think it was ever off road before I got it, and I went out and thrashed just a little bit on the original 20 year old hardware. As I said, now need to get the front DS rebuilt and get that wheel u joint replaced. I just wanted to make sure nothing ridiculous would happen, like the driver front wheel locking up while doing 65 on the highway or something. Half of me knows that would probably never happen, but the other half wanted to make sure. I've read that without a press, doing the u joints is a PITA, but I've never done it yet and didn't want to end up wishing I had a press half way through the job. they are only like $30

xj88superjeep said:
Thanks guys, as far as I know there is no SEVERE damage like caps missing, I think I just tore it up wheeling it earlier this year. I don't think it was ever off road before I got it, and I went out and thrashed just a little bit on the original 20 year old hardware. As I said, now need to get the front DS rebuilt and get that wheel u joint replaced. I just wanted to make sure nothing ridiculous would happen, like the driver front wheel locking up while doing 65 on the highway or something. Half of me knows that would probably never happen, but the other half wanted to make sure. I've read that without a press, doing the u joints is a PITA, but I've never done it yet and didn't want to end up wishing I had a press half way through the job. they are only like $30

When I did mine I found that $30 press utterly useless. I tried, but I had to go back to the BFH method anyway.

Save yourself some frustration and just beat the tar out of it. You'll save time and feel better later.

I agree with cherokee chuck, a big c clamp and a couple sockets works great! Just don't forget to tap on each side of the axle after you get the u joint in to loosen the caps from the main body of the u joint and more against the retainer clips or you will burn up the bearings in the new u joint fast from the caps being pressed against the main body of the joint too tight. That was how I learned to properly set the caps on my first u joint replacement. Trashed it within a couple weeks. Bearings turned to powder.

Back