• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switchable ABS safe to do?

tcv4444

NAXJA Forum User
Alright- 89 XJ Limited with ABS. relatively new ABS components installed before I owned the jeep due to the factory service bulletin. I want to run a toggle switch using spade connectors or something similar plugged in to the fuse slot for the ABS so that I can switch it off for non pavement applications. (Yes, I will put a fuse somewhere in the hot wire going to the switch). My questions are,

1. Is this the easy (and safe) way to accomplish what I want or should I tap into a wire somewhere else in the system?

2. Is it safe to arbitrarily kill power to the ABS system in terms of the components and functioning of the brakes? Should I only operate the switch when at a complete stop, foot on/off pedal, etc?

3. Does anyone have pictures of a kick ass setup for switches in their 84-96 Cherokee? I'm planning to make 1-2 gears selectable through the TCU wiretapping/switches scheme and by the time I'm done building this rig I'll have 4 or so switches for various items. Please post pics.

Any information appreciated. I'm really cautious when it comes to screwing with the brake system, and oddly enough out of 10 cars I've owned, this old XJ is the first I've had with ABS. And it actually works really well with 30's!

One way to experience is to pull the fuse to the ABS and drive it awhile. If you are going to 33" or larger you likely will not be happy with how they perform. Many have (as I) have converted to a dual diaphram booster and dumped the old ABS in the junk heap. There are all sorts of threads on this forum and others documenting the conversion. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924285 There are also threads on multiple switches and relay set ups. I'll look for one in a minute.

Last edited:
I did this to my Isuzu Rodeo by adding a switch going to a speed sender unit. When it is in use the isuzu rodeo's PC can not see the speed sendng unit and truns off the ABS pump. Reaseting the system was EZ just toggle the switch over and restart the engine. Do not cut fuse wire if you do , you will nead a big big switch to handle about 40ampsof power . Danny www.BlueXJ.com

As for being safe the truck just thinks the speed sending unit is bad. And the truck dos the hard work for you. I run many years with this fix/mod. The isuzu's ABS pump last about 50Kmile and with it running more often off roading It save me many time not having too get a new pump put in. The idea come from the dealership service technicians.

Back