• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY: Replace rear door lock actuator

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
This if for the rear door. Front door procedure may vary slightly.

Tools Needed:
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Flat Screwdriver
  • T-30 Torx
  • Needle Nose Pliers

Time Required:
Approximately 30 minutes.

Step 1:
Remove Door Panel. Start by removing the screw behind the inside door handle. Next remove the two armrest screws. Using a flat blade screwdriver as a pry bar, pop the 6 white clips holding the panel in place. Next pull the door panel upwards, to release it from the window base. You will now need to unplug the blue power window plug. I'll assume that if you have power locks, you have power windows. Finally, unclip the two plastic clips holding the door lever linkage, and door lock linkage in place. You can use your fingers, flat screwdriver + fingers, or needle nose pliers. I recommend the pliers. The clips hold onto the linkages the way your hand would hold onto a soda can. Once the clip is unfastened, pull the l-shaped end of each linkage out of its plastic socket. Be careful not to bend the door linkages. If severely bent, the door will fail to lock, and the inner door handle may be rendered inoperable. Simply bend them back if you run into this scenario. This may take some fiddling.

Pry door clips

Remove door linkages

Unplug power window switch

Remvoe door panel

Step 2:
Peel away upper and rearmost section of the door liner. Next reach inside the door with your needle nose pliers (or tool of choice) and unclip the single linkage that connects the door lock to the outside door handle. This is a vertical linkage. Remove the top end of the linkage so that it does not get in your way when removing the assembly. Next, using your t-30 torx, unscrew the three torx screws on the outer edge of the door. Now pull on the two long linkages that you worked with earlier. This should help guide the entire assembly out of the door opening. Now that you have better access to the electrical plug, remove the plug from the door actuator.

Remove door seal

Step 3:
Swap all linkages over to new door actuator. If used, plug in new actuator and activate door locks. Make sure it works before you proceed. Remove any extra clips and linkages that you may want to keep. The clips are used on all doors throughout the jeep, and may come in handy if/when one breaks.

Unclip exterior door handle linkage

Swap linkages onto replacement actuator

Keep leftover clips

Step 4:
Installation is the reverse of steps 1-3. Remember to plug in your power window switch before installing the door panel. If you door seals do not seem to stick to the door, use some tape, sealant, or glue to keep the seal in place.

One thing I might add that may be of assistance to us who experience ice in the winter.

If your door does not close because it is frozen, do not heat it. The latch parts are plastic coated. If they fuse together, you will have a darn difficult time replacing your latch because the bolts that hold it on come in from the door sill side.

Don't ask me how I know :gee:

Nice write up!

I am having an issue with my driver's door in that the outside pushbutton is not releasing the latch. The inside handle works fine as do the power locks. Would this be a problem with the actuator or is there some adjustment in there. I can see the pushbutton rotating something near the latch when I press it, so I know the linkage is connected.

Thanks.
Dave

CantonXJ said:
Nice write up!

I am having an issue with my driver's door in that the outside pushbutton is not releasing the latch. The inside handle works fine as do the power locks. Would this be a problem with the actuator or is there some adjustment in there. I can see the pushbutton rotating something near the latch when I press it, so I know the linkage is connected.

Thanks.
Dave

Hmm, could be a problem with the vertical linkage referenced in the writeup.

Markos said:
Hmm, could be a problem with the vertical linkage referenced in the writeup.
As I said, the vertical linkage "seems" to be functioning properly. Is there perhaps something within the actuator itself that might be causing the issue? It appears, at least to my untrained eye, that the vertical member is not actuating the same mechanism as the interior handle.

Dave

CantonXJ said:
As I said, the vertical linkage "seems" to be functioning properly. Is there perhaps something within the actuator itself that might be causing the issue? It appears, at least to my untrained eye, that the vertical member is not actuating the same mechanism as the interior handle.

Dave

Dave,

It's been a few years since I've looked at the front door linkages. Come to think of it though, the vertical linkage on the front door is connected to the lock tumbler. I think your best bet would be to remove the front assembly and see what's going on.

This is the only pic that I have of my front vertical linkage. I think it's hanging in that photo, since the door handle is obviously above the lock.

1610655840_3c6e8b233a_o.jpg

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696751

Where did you get replacement actuator's?

I think I need some because the rear ones no longer unlock when I hit the unlock button on the remote (power locks) - I have to reach back and unlock them from the inside.

xj-boonie said:
Where did you get replacement actuator's?

I think I need some because the rear ones no longer unlock when I hit the unlock button on the remote (power locks) - I have to reach back and unlock them from the inside.

I got mine on ebay for about $30 shipped. They cost around $115 wholesale from Mopar. I looked on the discount mopar websites, but they don't list a left/right side. I called the company and he said that the price listed is just a 'tickler price' or something like that. The website listed them for around $32. It turned out to be the same price I could get them discounted from a local jeep dealer.

Back