• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! 89' XJ Won't Start

Chris789

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I recently went 4wheelin and my Jeep (89' XJ) was running fine. We stopped at a friend's house and the vehicle would not start.

Intake - Is pulling air.

Fuel - Fuel is getting to the fuel rail. I pulled the fuel pump and it seems to be working. The pump is only activated when you attempt to start the vehicle. It does not activate when the key is on. Is this normal for a jeep? I did not check the fuel pressure yet. Is there a specific relay for the fuel pump?

Spark plugs are firing.

I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, Wires, Rotor Cap and Button.

I have checked the battery and fuel pump.

I swapped around the 5 relays.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

sounds like pump

I checke the pump. As long as there is continous power going to the pump it will run continously.

Thanks.

You have to check the pressure at the fuel rail to determine if the pump is good or not. Just because it turns on doesn't mean anything. Get a fuel pressure gauge from the parts store. The pressure must be atleast 45 psi. Key on, engine not running. While cranking the engine be sure the pressure doesn't drop, or that it doesn't go over 55psi.

Something else to check... Is the timing chain broken? Look inside the oil fill cap while cranking. Are the rockers moving?

Report back.

Back