• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Sensor--who knows the part no. and where to buy?

Gritts

NAXJA Forum User
I think I finally :confused1 found the problem with my cruise control on the 90 XJ (4.0 Auto). Using my meter I measured an open circuit on pins 2 and 3 on the wire harness plug which plugs into the little yellow cruise control box. The other end of this harness connects (according to the wiring diagram I have) to the speed sensor. I figured the sensor was bad and located what I thought was the sensor mounted near the odometer cable at the rear of the transmission (transfer case). I took the sensor out to test it and discovered it is some kind of switch which (again I think) sends pulses back to the little yellow box as the transmission turns. I checked the sensor and it appears completely dead. Infinite resistance, and when I push down on the spring loaded end nothing happens.

That said I can't seem to find one. I hope this isn't an OEM only part. Anybody bought one of these things? :eyes: Would appreciate any info. Thanks ahead of time.

The switch you pulled sounds like the 4wd light indicator switch. The speed sensor is inline with the speedometer cable behind the gauge cluster. Does the torque converter lock up? There is a white colored plastic switch that needs to be depressed when the brake pedal is up.

Slo-Sho said:
The switch you pulled sounds like the 4wd light indicator switch. The speed sensor is inline with the speedometer cable behind the gauge cluster. Does the torque converter lock up? There is a white colored plastic switch that needs to be depressed when the brake pedal is up.

You're right, it is the 4wd indicator :doh: (CRAP). When I bridged the female plug that went to this "sensor" it showed up a short on pins 2 and 3 on the connector to the yellow cruise box. Go Figure. I guess I have bad wiring/connection on pins 2 and 3 or the speed sensor itself may be shorted out. I hate crawling under that dash, I have to take the front seat out and I still have a hard time fitting under there.:banghead:

just a thought, but have you looked into a vac leak between the cannister pass. side bumper and the intake manifold?
just something else to look into.

The speed sensor for the cruise is located on the speedo cable behind the gauge cluster. The one on the trans is for the TCU.

The PN is 5300 8989 but it's the entire cable, not just the speed sensor. I doubt you can find this from a non-dealer. Junkyard maybe.

beakie said:
just a thought, but have you looked into a vac leak between the cannister pass. side bumper and the intake manifold?
just something else to look into.

Yeah, I've pretty well went over the entire vac system, I even relocated the vac football from the front bumper to inside the engine compartment to eliminate some lines and to get those lines out from under the battery. I've checked the unit on the firewall and have vacuum there on the smaller "supply" side and when I provide power to the servo, it opens and I have vacuum through the unit and going to the safety vac switch under dash above the brake pedal. Its working good too. I repaired the broken wires on the turn signal stalk and replaced the yellow cruise box with a junkyard unit. I'll keep trying.!!!1

Saudade said:
The speed sensor for the cruise is located on the speedo cable behind the gauge cluster. The one on the trans is for the TCU.

The PN is 5300 8989 but it's the entire cable, not just the speed sensor. I doubt you can find this from a non-dealer. Junkyard maybe.

Thanks for the PN. When I find time again and its stops raining I'll take a second look under the dash at the sensor and also re-ohm the turn signal stalk switch.
:gee: I need a life,

Well, I took the dash apart and took out the front seat so I could fit in there. I ohmed the cruise sensor for 25 ohms and checked the stalk wiring again, and ohmed the wiring from the yellow cruise box outside to the servo. Everything seems okay. Maybe it's the yellow cruise box. Maybe birds fly backwards. Maybe George Bush is a rocket scientist. I don't know.:rattle:

Gritts said:
Maybe it's the yellow cruise box. Maybe birds fly backwards. Maybe George Bush is a rocket scientist. I don't know.

One out of three ain't bad :laugh3: .. I had a broken wire by the brake switch.. Brake lights would work but cruise wouldn't... HTH

scottmcneal said:
One out of three ain't bad :laugh3: .. I had a broken wire by the brake switch.. Brake lights would work but cruise wouldn't... HTH

I ain't going back under there....you can't make me!!! :shiver:

IF I get this THING fixed, I'll post the cure. If anyone knows how to test the yellow cruise box, let me know-- I'm a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:
Back