• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker help

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a lock rite in my dana 30 and I cant get the axle shafts to slide out. I have already taken out the 3 12 point bolts but the hub wont seperate from the steering knuckle... any tricks?

i had the same problim taking my wheel bearings off as u are but any way if u have any old rotors around ur not using tightin one of thoes on the hub and smack it with a hammer a few times and it should come loose or take a chisle and put it between the knuckel and the hub and smack it a few time with a hammer go around where it meets until it comes off thats what i usually do
good luck

slide hammer with a hub adapter

You did pry off the dust cap, remove the cotter pin and take the hub nut off right? Just asking, I've been known to miss the obvious on more than one occasion....:)

I think he's doing the work around separating the hub from the axle.

Remove the brakes, and the rotor.

Remove the 3 bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. Depending on how much rust there is, it may not be easy to separate the knuckle and hub. I use a 2 lb hammer and rap on the back of the hub flange. You can use a slide hammer to pull on the hub also.

When you get the axle(s) pulled, if you have an older XJ with the disconnect on the pass side, the inner shaft has a "C" clip holding it in at the differental. You will need to remove the shift motor from the axle to get it out far enough/ put it back together. The "C" clip is a delete on later disconnect models and is no required.

When you put it back together, use anti-seize to prevent having the same issue again when you do axle maintance.

Ron

downhillracer said:
Its an 89 with the disconnect on the right.... is there a c clip?

Only on the inner axle on the passenger side. They put a "C" clip on the differental side to aid in assembly at the factory.

You have to imagine the passenger side axle being two pieces. To lock the two pieces together, a splined collar is used to couple one shaft to the other. This is done by the shift motor on the passenger side.

This will not prevent you from removing the hubs as you described. They are likely rusted on.

so do i need to take off the vacumme disconnect to remove the c clip or not? The drivers side wont come out either. I just stripped the threads on the hub puller trying to break it free

Did you do a search? The common practice in this situation is to buy one or two longer bolts the same thread as the 3 that hold the hub on. I think the last time I found a 100 mm long bolt at Fastenal. You screw this "sacraficial" bolt in where the originals were and beat on the head from the back. You want a hardened bolt, otherwise you are going to bend it and mushroom it. Sometimes you need to get the 3# BFH out and beat hell out of it.

Depending on the service (U joints for instance), I do not remove the axle nut. I just take the hub and axle shart off as a unit. It saves a lot of time. Don't beat on the axle or rotors with a hammer or try to pull it with a slide hammer. This can destroy the unit bearings. As previously said, on reassembly, put neverseize on the area between the unit bearing and the knuckle.

ive done a bunch of searches and so far you are the only one with the new bolt trick. Nobody else seemed to have this much trouble taking out their shafts.

MoFo said:
Did you do a search? The common practice in this situation is to buy one or two longer bolts the same thread as the 3 that hold the hub on. I think the last time I found a 100 mm long bolt at Fastenal. You screw this "sacraficial" bolt in where the originals were and beat on the head from the back. You want a hardened bolt, otherwise you are going to bend it and mushroom it. Sometimes you need to get the 3# BFH out and beat hell out of it.

Depending on the service (U joints for instance), I do not remove the axle nut. I just take the hub and axle shart off as a unit. It saves a lot of time. Don't beat on the axle or rotors with a hammer or try to pull it with a slide hammer. This can destroy the unit bearings. As previously said, on reassembly, put neverseize on the area between the unit bearing and the knuckle.

I just put a socket on those bolts and tap it with a hammer. The socket keeps the bolt head from being destroyed.

iwannadie said:
I just put a socket on those bolts and tap it with a hammer. The socket keeps the bolt head from being destroyed.
I'd much rather destroy a sacrafice bolt than a socket.

I tried the pounding on the bolts thing..... didnt work. Its like somebody put locktite in between the hub and the steering knuckle. This thing wont budge and I am all out of ideas. In chiltons it says to take the axle nut off before you pull the axle out. Is this neccesary.... it is the only thing left I can think of.

The axle, which is what you really want out anyway, will slide right out with the hub. So, no ther is no need to pull the axle nut(big one in the center)

You can't just pound on the stock bolts. You need to find longer ones. There is not enough room and clearence to get a good hammer swing on the original bolts. Go find some long ones and hit them hard with a BFH. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

are you doing this in chico? if so i may be able to come help. have you tryed soaking it with wd-40?

Last edited:
ok now I got the axle shafts out but the carrier wont come out of the passengers side of the case. I noticed that it looks like there is still and axle shaft in that side of the case with a c clip on the end..... do I need to remove this to get the carrier out. And no cheokeekid im doing this in yuba city. Thanks for the offer though.

Back