• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear quarter trim without rivets?

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about doing a rear quarter trim this afternoon but I don't have access to a riveter. This may seem like an uncoventional method but:
Couldn't I use a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 and screw the folded sheet metal into that? Obviously, I would still use some sort of sealant to keep moisture out.

Are they? I have no idea. Never even shopped for em.

This guy is stressin about a rivet gun, and you guys are telling him to buy a welder?
======================================================
I would start with a rivet gun then save my pennies for a cheep welder. If he don't like welding. No big lose.
If he gets into it. Then he can make money burning up the cheep one with small jobs for others. Saving for the good stuff.
It worked for me anyway.

you could try sheetmetal screws and adhesive

or duct tape. If you can't duck it then f*ck it!!

self tapping hex head screws. #12 size. thats what i used. and i didnt bother sealing anything either. of course i dont care about my jeep, its a shitbox anyway... i mean my front fenders are trimmed via sawzall and BFH method. :eyes:

oh and i dont think welding that paper thin sheet metal back together would ever work out... at least not for me. Im still wondering how im goin to weld some 2x4 rectangle onto/in place of my rockers....:dunno:

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
oh and i dont think welding that paper thin sheet metal back together would ever work out... at least not for me. Im still wondering how im goin to weld some 2x4 rectangle onto/in place of my rockers....:dunno:
I was somehow able to do it four years ago with no welding experience. :dunno:

So I'm not worried about the price of a rivet gun, I just don't own one.
I do want a mig though and would love to know how to use it. I'd love to go out and buy a new 220v unit, but I figured a cheapo $90 HF unit would be ok to learn on.

Looks like murderedout finally answered my original question.

dont waste your money on a cheep welder. save your pennies and get a good miller or lincoln welder, not that harbor freight crap. as for a rivet gun, they are like 12 bucks.

its a good project to learn to weld with, cause the welds are not super important. and if you run into any problem you can always come back to your thread for help. Although welding sheet metal is completely different than anything structural. its a good start and the HF unit i mentioned works great on sheet metal and plugs into 110

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
oh and i dont think welding that paper thin sheet metal back together would ever work out... at least not for me. :

Turn the welder down, drop down to a smaller size wire, and stitch weld it back together. Works fine. Use some 16 gauge sheet metal for filler as needed.

Back