• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No front parking lights

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just noticed tonight I have no front running or parking lights, the rears work fine and the headlights are fine as well as the flashers. I do have the H4 conversion but shouldn't matter. I wasn't aware of a separation in the lights, why would I have no front and yet rear is fine? 93 xj, as I said, flashers work fine so I know the bulbs are ok, just when I pull the light switch out 1 position I have only rear running lights as well as when I pull the switch all the way out for headlights, no running lights, hope this was clear, thanks for any ideas.

There's a connector in the fender behind your airbox that's well known for corrosion problems. It's the connector you split when you pull the front header off (headlights, turn signals and marker lamps.)

x 2 on that connector behind the airbox.I eliminated mine and I'm surprised the lights worked at all due to all the corrosion in that connector.Also check the socket grounds.
By chance do your turnsignal indicators stay lit all the time?

x3 on that connector, mine was reeeeaaaallllyy corroded and once i fixed it my lights work just fine.

I did have a problem with that connector this past winter. Nothing left but green dust. I cut them off at that time and hard wired them together and shrink wrapped them, I'll look into it tho.

marker lamp uses a different filament than the turn signals. Could be bad bulbs even thought the turn signals work.

great point raz, I think I'll try that first, Chixjeff, you're not talking about the actual headlight plug are you? I'm removing the side marker housing and looking for something obvious tomorrow, thnks

Nope. Not the headlight plug.

Remove the airbox. Between it, and the fender, you'll see a non-weatherpack multi-way connector. Be careful splitting it the first time, it's probably very brittle and tightly stuck together. Because it's not weather tight, the crimped on contacts have probably corroded off.

Okay all, just checked and the bulbs are fine, at least the drivers side bulb is fine, both filaments. Thats on the front marker light. If both sides are out but both blinker filaments work where does that leave us?

ChixJeff, could it be a corroded contact if one of the two filaments work? Or does that make perfect sense? If I've lost both front marker lights but both of these front marker lights still work as blinkers or flashers does your idea about the non-weatherpack multi way connector still make sense. Thanks alot for the help. Keep them coming.

Ok so I checked the non weatherpak connector, and I'm just assuming it was the one I needed. It had approx 12-14 pins, some of which where empty. And yes there was a tonne of green dust. I cleaned the connectors as best I could and reconnected but no good. One wire was completely rotted off but oddly enough it went to a pin that had no match. At least I found the culprit with everyones help. I'll have to take a closer look when I can and figure it out and maybe snap some pics for everyone to see and maybe help someone else in the future. Thanks and keep any suggestions coming.

Any follow-up on this issue?
Did you find out how to fix the parking light problem?
I have the exact same problem and have checked all the obvious things, bulbs, fuses.
I get no voltage at the pins on the bulb socket.
The signal lights work OK, but no front parking lights.

I had an issue with my 88, it was the bulb socket. Inside the plastic socket where the ground wire pushes in the connection was corroded.
Searched the junk yards for a good one and spliced it in.

Found the problem.
The large connector under the air box.
When I separated the connector, a pile of green dust poured out.
The 12 v wire for the parking lamps was disconnected from the completely corroded pin.
I cleaned the remaining good pins and then cut, spliced, soldered, and shrink tubed the 12v line (bypassed the connector).
All is well, ... as well as can be expected on a 96 Jeep with 225,435 miles!
Hopefully I can pass state inspection now.

Back