• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo/Dome lights not working? Electrical!

93 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just got another Jeep. It is a 97 Grand Cherokee with 153,000 on the odometer. Pretty good shape. The rear hatch wasn't opening and I got that fixed today. High mount brake light wasn't working/ replaced bulbs and fixed. Liscense plate lights weren't working/ bulbs fixed that also. The rear cargo light and the courtesy/dome lights on the overhead console aren't working. Bulbs aren't the problem here. I removed the overhead console. The digital stuff is all working such as the temp, compass, mpg, etc. I unplugged the connections and tried checking voltage. I get no voltage at all on the light harness and on the harness plugging into the other stuff. I get a couple readings of like 2.25 volts. There are 6 wires on this plug and I am assuming the others go over to the lights. Any thoughts or where else I need to measure for voltage etc.? Thx.

Oh yeah, ofcours. LOL The one connector is a 6 pin and the other one next to it is a 4 pin that goes to the lights. I got the multimeter our and am working on it as we speak so wheres the resident electrician? LOL Thx.

LOL, well I did check the fuse initially. But guess what? I checked the wrong one. There was another row hidden that I didn't see til I pulled the whole kickpanel to get a look at all the relays and such. So now they are all working. BUT WAIT! LOL. NOW THEY WON"T GO OUT!!!!! SO........ NOW WTF? LOL

O.K. i'm good to go now. One of the kids had not closed door all the way. It's all good now. Time to put everything back together. Tried to talk wifey into letting me put a DVD player in the console while I had it out lol.

OMG, I am so annoyed right now. Went for a drive and the dome lights are flickering and then decided to stay on. Anyone got any ideas or should I just put myself out of my misery? LOL:bawl:

Well when it is going on and off I can hear it clickin down at the fuse box. A bad relay wouldn't do anything like that would it. I was thinking relay or there is a short.

The relay actually even feels a little warm. When a relay goes bad would it do this or could it just be a loose connection on the backside of the relay. If so, looks like I would have to pull the whole fuse panel out to get to the backside. Looks like it is the computer all in one. Anyone got some help for me? Thx.

Back