• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight help please...

3pwrlftrs4u

NAXJA Forum User
head lights only work on bright...

been searching on here for a while with not much luck

checked all fuses over and over
changed headlights
new headlight switch
new dimmer switch/turn signal lever

happen to anyone before???

thanks in advance

the high beams come one when the dimmer switch is turned to bright.

with the dimmer on dim none of the headlights work.

'96 4dr XJ

3pwrlftrs4u said:
head lights only work on bright...

new dimmer switch/turn signal lever

Just to be clear - these two are differnt parts in different places (at least on my 92). The lever is on the steering wheel while the dimmer switch is down under the dash. Are you saying with this item that you swapped out both of these separate parts?

Check the connections at the headlight. I had a similar problem with my 96. One low beam was out, got a new one, but when I went to fix it, the problem was that the plastic connector was cracked and the low beam wire wasn't making that great of a connection. Bent the contact on the headlight a bit, and it made better contact. Also taped up the connector a bit so it held it's shape. Low beam went out again in a few months, same issue, bulb was fine, connection went bad. That time I bent the tab on the light even more and haven't had the problem since.

So what I'm getting at here is that maybe it's the connection at the lights themselves. Check them over and make sure that they are all making good contact. Bent the tabs on the light out a bit so that it's tough to get the connection on....and they'll keep pressure on the contacts so that the connection is good. Use some dielectric there too.

This may not be the case since you've got two at one time, but it's something worth eliminating before pulling more hair out.

92xjsp said:
Just to be clear - these two are differnt parts in different places (at least on my 92). The lever is on the steering wheel while the dimmer switch is down under the dash. Are you saying with this item that you swapped out both of these separate parts?

signal switch is the dimmer switch on mine... ita a 1996

i plan in getting started with multi meter today.

Back