• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are windshield interchangeable?

meengreen

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new windshield to pass inspection, which I am already 2 months late on. I was at the junk yard yesterday and saw a few 80's XJ's with good glass. The guy told me $125 installed or $50 if I pull it and install it myself. A lot cheaper than the $368 quote I got from Safelite! Will these windshields, from the 80's XJ's, fit into a 2001 XJ? They look like the same windshield. Any info is greatly appreciated. John.

I put a molding from a 97+ on my old '91 so I would assume they are the same windshield too but I can't say for sure.

Insurance wont cover a windshield replacement?

You need to look somewhere beside Safelite. That price is rediculous. There are places that will come out and install for a lot less. I would prefer having new glass installed by a professional with a guarentee over doing it myself. The windshield is glued/bonded into the body so if you don't get the old one removed and area cleaned properly you will end up with a genuine mess/hazard on your hands.

Make several calls to different glass shops and price it out. I did the online pricing for my '05 toyota and safelite wanted about $350. I made a couple calls and found a local place that came to my house and did it on the spot for $200. New glass, not some JY stuff.

Just my $.02

ddcxj, They probably would but my deductable is more than $368. Actually I just made my last payment and dropped all the nonmanditory coverage. So, maybe they wouldn't cover it.

langer1, no I never changed one but I like to try everything at least once. Well, maybe not everything...

Thanks non-stick, I will call around for some better prices.

Yes, they are interchangeable. Before proceeding with the job, though, you should be aware that to do the job right will require a fair amount of expense in materials, and probably a new molding. You must also find out from the junkyard whether the do-it-yourself option is a "break it you buy it" proposition. These windshields are not at all easy to get out alive, and although it is possible for a skilled operator to save the molding it is difficult also. Add the price of the urethane adhesive and a new molding, and you're up near the junkyard's installed price with much much more aggravation, and if you break a windshield trying to get it out or get it in (I've done both!) you're out another 50 bucks and possibly another tube of urethane. If they will pull and install a good one for $125 it might be worthwhile, but make very sure that it's a good one with no pitting or scratching.

Make sure you negotiate a price with any glass shop with the understanding that you have no insurance. Many jack the quote up for insurance.

A lot of very good advise Matt, thank you. I was debating whether or not to just let them do it. I, too, was thinking of the other materials needed, that would add to the cost. I do like to do all my own work. The only thing I ever paid a mechinic for was a new fuel pump in my Dakota. I didn't want to be bothered pulling the gas tank out from under the truck so I just had them do it. That is in 19 yrs of driving.
Maybe I will just pay the $125 and be done with it. I realy need to get this thing inspected before I get a ticket. The ticket is up around $200 here in Jersey!!

There are also some "special tools" you may need to remove the moldings and cut through the adhesive. They're not outrageous but they do add to the total to do it yourself. You can likely do the job without them, but it's much tougher considering you'd have to do it twice (donor XJ and yours).

Also ask the yard if they guarantee against leakage.

Also realize that your glass has a coating on it and becomes brittle over the years, so if you've found a jeep out of an 90 xj, that glass is over 16 years old. Just something to consider. Not saying you'll break it, but still, its not as strong as new glass. I shattered my windshield in January by some falling ice on the highway and found a place to come and install brand new glass while I was at work for $238. Worked out pretty sweet and it was done in about 15 min.

misterjeeper said:
I just had my windshield replaced by techna-glass about 3 months ago for $125, and comes with free rock chip repair
I wonder if we have them over here in Jersey? I'm going to check into them...thanks.

I install windshields to pay the bills. The sad facts is that all jeeps leak. It is not a matter of if, but when. If you don't have someone who knows what they are doing, you will increase the chances of a leak. Windshield...$115 Molding...$45 Adhesive...$25 Labor to Install...$40 The ability to point a finger in any other direction than at yourself!...PRICELESS

Back