• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender trim(like protecto)

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal I need to put something on the lip of my fenders because the paint is starting to chip/rust.

I have seen the protecto stuff that dpg sells but I'm looking for a cheaper($30) alternative that works good.
I already tried that black plastic door edge trim that auto parts stores carry and it stayed on for a whole two months....

Ideas????:huh:

I was thinking about buying a roll of 1/8" vacuum hose and slitting it down the middle and using silicone to hold it on...anyone try this?

TIA:cheers:

i 2nd the motion on the bling gold door trim!

ha ha, it would be funny...
But i dont have that problem, i used the sawzall and BFH method on my front fender trim job. Looks nasty by the way! :peace:

Last edited:
door trim dont work that well, i know theres stuff on ebay. im in the same situation.

I bought some protecto trim from DPG, but didn't use it because it only covered one side of the cut edge.

I used some trim I got a roll of from JC whitney. It is like the door edge stuff, but more flexible. It had adhesive inside and was C shaped to cover both sides of the cut fender.

yea I've used that door trim stuff twice now and each time I washed the truck real good before applying it....still fell off.
I think I know why:The adhesive is only applied to the bottom of the strip and not the sides....the adhesive has very little metal to stick to mainly on the front fender because it's paper thin.
Gotta figure out something fast because I just touched up the paint on all four fenders today and I know the very first time I hit the trail without somekind of protection it WILL FLAKE!

Any idea how many feet is required for a two door xj?

Last edited:
I seen a guys jeep a while back that he used a rino liner type product. He taped off around the fender area he wanted to paint, put on ALOT of coats and it looks pretty good from what I remember.

Are you going to put your flairs back on? I sanded an painted mine before i put my flairs back on... I havent had any chipping since i did this. My 2 cents for the week...

As far as the chipping goes, he had run it for awhile like that and it still looked good. And as far as the flares go, atleast in AZ there are no MUD FLAP or flare rules on a Cherokee since they are station wagons and do NOT follow under the same guidelines as a truck does.

Lata

Ca says you have to cover tires.. If sticking out of fender, or if over so much is showing.. They use this to just screw with you, know what i mean...

scottmcneal said:
LOL They pay me VERY will to live here....Come for a visit, you will love all the places to go off roading...

Great pay and owning lame guns......... :confused1

back on topic. the point of the "cleaning" is to remove dirt grease and any other types of waxes. need to use paint thinner/ goof off or you choice of degreaser to break down the crap on top of the paint. Then it will stick great. Also you can add all kinds of diff aheasives into the gap and what not. This is one of those "use yer brain" tasks. It can be done.

Trim-lok is what I used. Got it off ebay. It's quite strong, I can't imagine having any issues with it coming off (it takes some effort to get on.) I just looked and it seems they dont have much to offer right now. Maybe try giving them a call...
R and P Carriages
431 N Main
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

ive seen that "pipe insulator's" black from stuff used a few times, just clean it up then spray paint then put some of it on its self adhesiving, and you can get a roll of it at lowes/home depot cheappp

Back