• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

offroadonly u turn steering kit

nu2jeep

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of getting this kit since i have the front end all torn apart since im installing the 5.5 RE long arm kit. the lift comes with a drop pitman arm, but with the steering kit, it says it requires the stock pitman arm. anyone know if its possible to use the drop pitman arm with the kit, or if theres other kits that are used with the drop pitman arm.
heres the link to the ORO u turn steering kit

http://jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=372

U-Turn requires a stock pitman arm. XJ owners may want to install a stock TJ pitman arm.
quoted from their page. best to read up on these kinds of things when buying products. prolly going with the TJ are to keep from bumpsteer. If you swap to the drop pitman arm you will more likely get bumpsteer. Next option would be to ask the company itself. Prolly tell you the same thing tho

Mosephus said:
Jeepin Jason Runs this steering and seems to like it alot.

do you know what pitman arm he is running?

anyone have a stock TJ pitman arm for sale and want to buy an XJ drop pitman arm??

I run the U-turn steering with about 6.5 inches of lift stock pitman arm. My track bar/ drag link angle was off just a little. It was ok with very little bump steer. I would run it and see if you can live with the bump steer. Make sure you call Steve.

I run the ORO kit with a 3" dropped pitman arm. The only reason I can think of that they say the kit requires a stock pitman arm is to keep your drag link and trac bar aligned. Mine are a little off, but I also need to relocate my trac bar to the top side of my axle. For now I just deal with the bumpsteer. It's not bad and have gotten to the point that I don't even notice it anymore. May not even bother relocating the trac bar axle mount.

But you'll really love the ORO kit. It was the best 600 bucks I ever spent for my Jeep. I upgraded to it after running the Rustys tie rod conversion kit for a year, and after I got it put on, I realized that it was possible to have a lifted Jeep that handled great too. The best of both worlds. Hope I helped answer your question.

I've got the ORO kit, almost 4" of lift, stock XJ pitman arm, and Kevin's trackbar conversion. I drive it daily and it's wonderful!

$600.00 is a lot of money to pay for some bent tube and rod ends. There are a lot of cheeper options that work just as well.

$600 is alot of money, but there are few cheaper Kits that can compare to this. If I had to buy a kit, the only kit I would buy before this is the Teraflex Highsteer kit, I think it is a few dollars cheaper and you still have to move your track bar mount and extend the sway bar mounts.

So for a simple bolt-on your done kit, this is pretty good as far as the results that you'll get.

Teraflex lets see change knuckle,change track bar mount, modify sway bar mounts, tie rods of unknown metal. U-Turn bolt on no mod's, Heat treated Crome Moly, clears stock back spacing. I think I would spend the extra money and do less work

Yes the U-Turn does change the ackerman angle and does cause tire scrub. I run 35's with 7" lift and use my XJ as a DD the only time I notice the scrub is when the steerind is all the way locked as in pulling in or out of parking spaces. I commute 60 mile a day at speed up to 85 mph ( 4.5 stroker ) the system is very stable and has no bad habits. There a many steering kit on the market but for an eazy bolt on with no mods U-Turn has work very well for me.

Back