• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long start

dorkfish8765

NAXJA Forum User
well ive been pondering this question for a while and finally bring the question to you guys. but i have a 98 xj 4.0 with msd ignition but since ive had the jeep and even when my buddy had it, its always taken a few turns to finally get the engine to fire but recently its getting worse ill crank the starter a few turns and turn it over again before it will fire. now ive been playing around and found when i turn the key on so the fuel pump turns on but dont start it, and push the pressure release valve no fuel sprays out if i do it again theres a little.
now for the question would that be the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system. it did it before i put the msd in. if any one has dealt with this before let me now thanks guys

sounds a little bit like the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump..... which if it is, you might as well replace the whole pump.... mines shot but pump still works so i just prime it, and live with it...... till it dies...

Austin

i have been hearing quite abit about that here locally with the boys with the obdII jeeps. Kinda sucks that everything is in the tank, but at 150k + on the clock, its about time to start looking at stuff like that anyway i suppose.

ya i was affraid of that ive got a hitch and a gas tank skid in my way so wasnt looking forward to it, maybe ill drink a red bull get some wings and bust out but probly not thanks for the help :lecture:

This is a pretty common problem on this vintage XJ. There have been instances of low available battery voltage causing this but it's rare. More common is the failing check valve on the fuel pump assembly. Try this simple test. What you are trying to accomplish is building the pressure back up before starting the engine.

1. Turn key to ON position (do not crank engine). Fuel pump will energize/run for 2 seconds.
2. Turn key to OFF position
3. Repeat above two more times
4. NOW crank the engine and start

If it starts quicker and starts cleanly, then the problem is most likely the check valve in the fuel pump assembly which is allowing drainback of fuel into the tank, therefore resulting in loss of fuel pressure requiring a longer crank to build pressure back up. I had this happen to my 99 and replaced the assembly at around 95k. I'd recommend replacing the entire assembly (pump/regulator/filter) if you are in there as yes, you have to drop the tank. Not the worst job but not a ton of fun either.

Good luck!

Ok did the test turned the key back and forth three times, and she fired right up. thanks for the help birchlakexj :peace:

Back