• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 question

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
I've done some searching and can't figure out if there's any way short of pulling the shafts to determine the spline count on an 8.25. Anyone know off the top of your head if you can see well enough to count the splines with the diff cover off?

What I'm really hoping for is a stamped or cast build code or date, etc... I know its a long shot but it could save me some money/time.

If your jeep was built before 05/96 then you have the 28spline. if after then the 29. I have a 03/96 and it is the 28. Just look on the sticker that is on the drivers side door. cheers

tucke said:
If your jeep was built before 05/96 then you have the 28spline. if after then the 29. I have a 03/96 and it is the 28. Just look on the sticker that is on the drivers side door. cheers

Ah, I appreciate it but its not that simple. I know what year the change occurred, I'm buying a set of 4.10 axles that came from different xjs. The front is from a '94 and the rear is from ???? What I'm hoping to find is some way to help the seller ID the axle without having to drop the drums and c-clips to pull the shafts. If we determine that its a 27-spline then I'll just be taking the ring&pinion and if its a 29 spline then I'll just be throwing my rear discs on. The front is a done deal, I'm just trying to determine if I actually want the whole rear axle or just the gears.

Thanks again tho.

If you've already got the front and the rear is a good deal then I say go for it. If you've already got a 27 spline then you'll be buying an axle with 4.10's already in it and if it's a 29 spline then that's just even better. You might be able to tell with just the diff cover off but not exactly sure.

dave92cherokee said:
If you've already got the front and the rear is a good deal then I say go for it. If you've already got a 27 spline then you'll be buying an axle with 4.10's already in it and if it's a 29 spline then that's just even better. You might be able to tell with just the diff cover off but not exactly sure.

Yeah, its pretty much front and rear delivered for $300. Front is non-disco hp30 with new 760s and the rear is an 8.25. I'm in need of a short shaft, psgr side knuckle and gears so this will kill the most birds with the least stones, er..I think. I'm wondering if I actually need the whole rear axle, if I just need r&p it may get cheaper...ish.

You can see well enough to count with the cover off.

There should be a few numbers stamped on the center chunk or the tubes. Write them down and take them to your nearest rear end shop they should be able to help you out

Thanks a lot guys. Its raining and I changed my fluid recently so I didn't want to crack my diff just to establish the line of sight when I don't need to see the inside of MY axle or find that the casting reads "YY7DF45K0912" while I'm laying a puddle.

Hopefully its a 29er so I can just do brakes and be done with it.

If you got just the r&p then you'd have to get an install kit and get it installed in yours and get everything dialed in correctly where as on the new axle it's already been done and ready to run.

dave92cherokee said:
If you got just the r&p then you'd have to get an install kit and get it installed in yours and get everything dialed in correctly where as on the new axle it's already been done and ready to run.

This is quite right. If the new axle is a 27 spline and I want to run the 29 spline axles I already have then I'll be using the carrier from my current axle, as a carrier change is necessary to upgrade the 27 to a 29 (just found that out the other day).

This is why I say I hope its a 29 so I can just swap my rear discs onto the new axle and bolt it in. There's no way I'm going back to drums or stepping down in shaft size.

I just bought a 94 with a 2.5 5 speed 4x4 with the same axles. I drove it home with a rod knock for 250 bucks. I plan on just swapping the carrier and axles and be done. Nice cheap upgrade for 99 XJ.Save yourself the work and do it that way. Hope that helps

comancheon33 said:
I just bought a 94 with a 2.5 5 speed 4x4 with the same axles. I drove it home with a rod knock for 250 bucks. I plan on just swapping the carrier and axles and be done. Nice cheap upgrade for 99 XJ.Save yourself the work and do it that way. Hope that helps

Damn dude, wish I'd found a whole rolling XJ for that price... I think I'm gonna do a couple of things to the axles while they're not under a vehicle but even with that its way cheaper than regearing the stock axles.

Archdukeferdinand said:
This is quite right. If the new axle is a 27 spline and I want to run the 29 spline axles I already have then I'll be using the carrier from my current axle, as a carrier change is necessary to upgrade the 27 to a 29 (just found that out the other day).

This is why I say I hope its a 29 so I can just swap my rear discs onto the new axle and bolt it in. There's no way I'm going back to drums or stepping down in shaft size.

edit:nevermind..I mis-read

Back