• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting (for free) a 1984 / 85 Jeep Cherokee and I will be picking it up today. I have yet to see it or know the exact year, all I know is that its a 2.5L Carb motor that does not run (why is unknown)

I got my 1994 4.0L 5sp project on the go that apparently needs a T Case and some other assorted items (but not too much).

What should I get from this baby? axles? anything you guys know that I can use? or will need in the future? tips are appreciated very much!

Jeff

Re: 19 19 1984

Not much...maybe the front 30 if its a non disco or you plan on buying a posi-lok and it has 4.10s or deeper.

Other than that...yeah I can't think of anything worth keeping.

Part time T-case is a 207 and it is normally a disco front if it's full-time case possibly a non-disco 30 with small knuckles and junk shafts the rear is most likely a non C-clip 35
not much would fit your '94 other than windows doors etc.

If it's an '84 it'll likely have the (weak) CV-Joint D30 shafts so all that will be usable is the housing.

Other than that the only useful stuff is glass, doors, and external/interior trim.

You guys are assuming it's a 4x4, it may be a 2WD.

My 85 2wd Cherokee pioneer and the 89 Cherokee pioneer only differ by the engine, Fuel injection and rear gear ratio as best as I can tell.

If I was you, I would restore that 2.5 L beast especially with fuel prices what they are, and anything older than an 87 is getting real hard to find, and thus more valuable.

There are several guys here with 2.5 L Jeeps, and they get great fuel mileage.

Fix it for a fuel efficient DD.

Have you guys forgot about all the interior and body panels or wheels if theyre nice? It all depends on conditio, but still if you price al lthat stuff out at the junkyard, its great t o have all the extra parts.

From the A-pillar forward changed in 1986/1987, but from the A-pillar back didn't change until 1997 - so you've got good interior, if it's in good shape.

The AMC four is a decent little engine - gets good mileage, and still makes useful power. I'd build that up and use it for a runabout - 2WD or 4WD (if it were 2WD, I'd gut it and turn it into a work truck/commuter myself.) Since it's carburetted and should be pre-OBD, you get a little leeway if you're subject to the annoyances, whims, and dicta of the Air Police.

I was thinking it would be a nice project to install aftermarket fuel injection on too. I doubt he would find a 2.5 Renix wiring harness and ECU laying around, but there is nice aftermarket stuff out there. And plenty of later jeeps available for other parts he might need. I doubt he would want to keep the carb and vacuum valve emission stuff, but I sold my 73 carbed LTD last December, and the guy who bought it (Lost his car to Katrina, still getting back on his feet) is using it for his DD, 351 V-8, 2-brl. It still only has 96,000 miles on it.

He is coming back next week to buy all the brand new AC parts I never got aroundtoit intsalling. Another 5 years and it will be a classic antique worth some bucks if he fixes the rusted trunk.

5-90, what is the A-pillar?

Ecomike said:
what is the A-pillar?
The forwardmost roof pillar, where the windshield meets the doors.

Pillars on all vehciles are lettered front to back, so a four door XJ has an A pillar at the front and a D pillar at the rear with B and C in between.

Not that I have taken a ruler and micrometer to it, but the differences must be subtle, my blue 85 Cherokee Pioneer looks just like my blue 89 Cherokee Pioneer, but then I am color blind, LOL, JK.:D

I think I have heard the 4.0 has a room problem being retrofitted into where a 2.5 went?

GSequoia said:
The forwardmost roof pillar, where the windshield meets the doors.

Pillars on all vehciles are lettered front to back, so a four door XJ has an A pillar at the front and a D pillar at the rear with B and C in between.

Correct. 2-doors have three sets of pillars, with four-doors having four.

The A- and B-pillar are the same in both applications - with the A-pillar being the windscreen support (from the roofline to the bottom framerail) and the B-pillar being the aft door support, where the striker is mounted.

The next pillar on the two-door will be the C-pillar, and that is the rearmost roof support.

On the four-door, the C-pillar is the rear door strike (the B-pillar does double duty as the front door strike and the rear door support) and the D-pillar is the rearmost roofline support.

Make sense now? It gets screwy with vans (asymmetrical - one side has three pillars one side has four) and that sort of thing, but the idea is the same.

Ecomike said:
my green 85 Cherokee Pioneer looks just like my blue 89 Cherokee Pioneer, but then I am color blind

Fixed?

:D

Externally they look the same. Fenderwalls, radiator support, and firewalls were all changed in 1987 for the 4.0.

poorboy_616 said:
The early (84-86) XJ's do not have the room underhood for the I6. The room is made by the factory massaging the firewall on the later models to fit the I6....

I believe the front crossmember/radiator support was also pushed forward an inch or so - the front fascia didn't change, but I'm wanting to think the front fenders did.

It's possible to put a 4.0L into a 1984-1986 rig, but it does take some work. Easier to drop in a small block Chevvy or something like that, or a 4.3L V6 (SBC mounting,) or a 3.1L/3.4L from a RWD/4WD/AWD platform (F-body, S-10/15, possible Astro/Safari - same mount as the 2.8L V6 that was OEM.) I'd probably go for the 3.1L/3.4L approach myself - easier, less fabrication, OTS parts, ... Gain the EFI from a full electronics swap (from the donor or something like a kit from Howell - or a MegaSquirt) and you'll benefit all around.

poorboy_616 said:
I think you right on the rad support moving forward....

I also think the fenders stayed the same. I would have to go and look it up.....

Please let me know - I haven't had a chance to look at a Hollander's for some time (I'd like to get one...)

X2 on the Hollanders.

The front spindles reputedly have detachable steering arms, making a big disc brake swap and tie rod upgrades potentially easier. Can that be confirmed?

Doubt it.

You're probably thinking of the bolt on caliper bracket.

TiRod said:
X2 on the Hollanders.

The front spindles reputedly have detachable steering arms, making a big disc brake swap and tie rod upgrades potentially easier. Can that be confirmed?

Hey Guys...

Just got it 2 days ago and took it to my buddies yard (where my beast sits as well)

I still do not know what year it is, but thinking its a 1985-86, will know today when I get down there to start tinkering with it.

The pics are on my webshots and you can see it on the first and 2nd page of my album. The green sinking XJ is my newest project, the teal green bad boy, I sold :(

Just want to thank everyone for your suggestions, its awsome having a site like this!

http://community.webshots.com/album/563937177apcXqs?start=0

Jeff

Back